ECW project - For King and Parliament

Started by paulr, 28 June 2018, 09:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Final dry brush and figure bases done on the current batch  :) :)

Once these have dried for a few hours they will be ready for Pierre the Shy to collect when he drops off the pikemen for the next batch :-w ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

Wow, this thread is amazing! Do you have a running total for the BCW figures you have painted since you started this thread?
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Quote from: mollinary on 22 November 2019, 08:51:15 PM
Wow, this thread is amazing! Do you have a running total for the BCW figures you have painted since you started this thread?

Paul might have a more exact figure but I would guess around 2500 all up - around 1000 Scots for me and 1500 for all the English units he has done for Cheriton?   
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

23 November 2019, 06:28:13 AM #1203 Last Edit: 23 November 2019, 06:30:42 AM by paulr
I've lost track of the Scots @-)

And Pierre the Shy is pretty close for the English
Painted
 1,145 Foot
    438 Mounted
     15 Guns
1,598 Total

A few more Scots for Dunbar, some English rabble and some other odds and ends still to do :!!

mollinary

Wow!  Quite a haul in eighteen months. Congratulations!

pierre the shy

Collected 2 more batches from Paul today that he has finished and started basing them up. Sourced a good 4 drawer plastic storage box that should fit the whole collection too.     

Not hanging around with this lot as they are needed for our Dunbar refight early next year and I am motivated to get the last few units completed in plenty of time.

Paul only has the 3 final pike units and 10 alternate command strips left to paint.  The latter will enable me to use the correct flags for 1644/5 units as all my Covenent pike units bear flags from units that fought in 1650, OK a fairly minor detail but one that I would like to portray correctly  :-B

And Spurs won their first game with Jose Mourinho in charge  :-bd  :-bd lets hope he can bring a few trophies to WHL in the near future..... :-w :-w

paulr

Techno

Quote from: pierre the shy on 24 November 2019, 12:33:10 AM
And Spurs won their first game with Jose Mourinho in charge  :-bd  :-bd lets hope he can bring a few trophies to WHL in the near future..... :-w :-w

Bet he doesn't.  ;)........He'll go with a good while still on his contract, and get oodles of compensation, as per usual.

Cheers - Mr Cynical  :)

mollinary

Quote from: pierre the shy on 24 November 2019, 12:33:10 AM

Paul only has the 3 final pike units and 10 alternate command strips left to paint.  The latter will enable me to use the correct flags for 1644/5 units as all my Covenent pike units bear flags from units that fought in 1650, OK a fairly minor detail but one that I would like to portray correctly  :-B

Very interested in this Pierre. I thought the only information on Covenanter flags of this period came from those captured at Preston and Dunbar.  Ould you share your sources for the earlier ones please?

Andrew

pierre the shy

Quote from: mollinary on 24 November 2019, 08:51:05 AM
Very interested in this Pierre. I thought the only information on Covenanter flags of this period came from those captured at Preston and Dunbar.  Ould you share your sources for the earlier ones please?

Andrew

You're quite right Andrew, most of the info does come from those captured at Preston/Dunbar/Inverkeithing....my "inspired guesses" come from the following sources that mention eariler 1644/5 flags, most if not all you have probably seen before:

'Scots Armies of the 17th Century Volume 2: Scots Colours', by Stuart Reid, published by Partizan Press 1990
Steve Ede-Borrett's Flags of the ECW Part 2 the Scottish Colours of Foot and Cornets of Horse 1639 - 1651 published by Raider Games 1989
http://battleofinverlochy.blogspot.com/2018/08/raise-high-black-flags.html
http://auldearn1645.blogspot.co.uk (might need wayback machine to get to this site now, looks like its down).
http://wiki.bcw-project.org/start

Cheers
Peter   

mollinary

Thanks Peter. As you surmise, I have the written sources to which you refer, and  also thoroughly recommend the bcw project. I hadn't seen the other two blogs (both links work fine for me, by the way) and they made a great read.  Cheers!

paulr

Hodden grey base coated :)

Officers jackets base coated, not hodden grey :)

paulr

Hodden grey dry brushed :)

Officers' jackets dry brushed :)

Bonnets, helmets, hats and boots base coated :)

pierre the shy

Completed extra curiassiers

Based 3 m and p units...just need to flock them now.

The redcoats would pass muster as Govt battalions at Killiekrankie...just need some house rules for plug bayonets for fk and p ☺

Ok Techno l will take pics when l can....😇

paulr

Bonnets, helmets, hats and boots dry brushed :)