ECW project - For King and Parliament

Started by paulr, 28 June 2018, 09:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Yep - Monsoon season round here. Mind you gets lots of cash from the Ferry fares !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

We've been missing out on the worst here, Ian.....After reading about what it's been like in other places in the UK.

For a (massive) change we're getting off very lightly.  :o :o :o :o

Cheers - Mr Not-Quite-So-Soggy.

pierre the shy

Bases & flags done for the first 3 Covenanter foot regiments - The General of Artillery's Regt, Colonel John Innes' Regt and Colonel Alexander Stewart's. Researching and making up the Covenanter flags in MS Paint and GIMP has been very time consuming but I'm pretty confident that they are correct..... :-B :-B :-B 

Collecting the three Royalist standing regiments - Strathbogie Regt, Farquharson of Monaltrie's and William Gordon of Minimore's - from Paul tomorrow (hopefully).

Prepared enough pike figures and pins for 3 more regiments (only 3 more to do after these are done).

We are going on a bit of road trip tomorrow, about 75km up the coast to Levin to refight the Battle of Marsden Moor in 28mm using FK&P rules that one of the players that took part in Paul's Cheriton refight is hosting.

Should be a good day out - costing me a LOT of brownie points to escape for the day though  ;) 
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

Quote from: mad lemmey on 15 June 2019, 08:01:25 AM
That sounds cool

Yes should be worth the drive Lemmey  :)

Rob, one of our Saturday night regulars, has travellied a bit further to take part in this Waterloo refight in Glasgow run by Tony Pollard this weekend: http://www.waterlooreplayed.com/about.html

He's helping to umpire if I remember correctly......the sight of thousands of well painted 28mm Napoleonics would be worth witnessing  ;)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

The three Royalist standing regiments are packed and ready for Pierre the Shy to collect :)

I managed to get the first three Covenanter foot regiments under coated yesterday :)

My wife's working today so I don't need to expend any brownie points but definitely looking forward to the day even if they're using the 'wrong' scale ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

99% finished putting together the three Royalist regiments, just need to finish edging the flags (3 of them took 2 attempts to print and stick on properly tonight) but I am letting the glue dry properly overnight before doing that.

The Marsden Moor road trip went really well, even with 60+ units on the table we had around 10 players all up so we were cormfortably able to complete 2 games in a day. The results were historical with 2 Parliamentary wins in the end, though the Royalists did not make it easy in either game.

I will put up some pictures of the game and the 10mm stuff sometime soon.

Techno

Oooooh......Squeaks of excitement.  :)

Gettamoveon you slacker(s).

(Don't care.....It's always worth the wait !! :))

Cheers - Phil

Quote from: Techno on 18 June 2019, 12:58:37 PM
Oooooh......Squeaks of excitement.  :)

Careful - the cat or maybe even one of the dogs will mistake you for a rodent, and get you !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

18 June 2019, 03:01:51 PM #880 Last Edit: 18 June 2019, 03:04:18 PM by Techno
Nah....The (HAH !) Lab 'puppy' knows the difference between me and the 'bar stewards' I shoot, when I have to.

Cheers -The sniper.

paulr

Quote from: pierre the shy on 18 June 2019, 12:44:35 PM
The Marsden Moor road trip went really well, even with 60+ units on the table we had around 10 players all up so we were comfortably able to complete 2 games in a day. The results were historical with 2 Parliamentary wins in the end, though the Royalists did not make it easy in either game.     

It was indeed a very enjoyable day out, thanks for the lift Pierre :)

paulr

Managed to make a start on the three Covenanter foot regiments :)

The limited armour and helmets base coated & highlighted :) :)

pierre the shy

19 June 2019, 11:16:29 AM #883 Last Edit: 19 June 2019, 11:25:08 AM by pierre the shy
A few ECW related pictures:

Royalist "standing regiments" - since they were raised in 1639 and had an initial outfit of armour for the pikes I have included three EC 16 figures per pike block to represent armoured men.

In order to differentiate the Royalists I did not use the traditional Scots saltire flag since the Covenanters used it so extensively amongst their regiments. The "Lion Rampant" flag is reserved for the personal use of the King or his designated leutenant (in this case Montrose) so it will only appear on Montrose's command stand when made. Instead following the green harp colours I used for the Irish Brigade I chose to show the "Scottishness" of these guys by using the arms of Scotland on a blue background as used by the Kings Footguards in 1650. The colonels colours are all adopted from those made available on the fabulous Project Auldearn 1645 blogsite at http://auldearn1645.blogspot.com/      

The Strathbogie Regiment:

Three regiments together:

from behind:

Marsden Moor 25mm Game:

In the first game I controlled the Parliamentary left wing cavalry - 2 brigades of raw Dutch style horse and Leven's Scots cavalry brigade.  

Next door to me Paul had Leslie's Scots foot:

After lunch we swapped sides and I ran some of the Royalist foot. Unfortunately Cromwell's cavalry overwhelmed the Royalist right wing cavalry in fairly short order so Rupert lead out his bodyguard of supercharged Swedish style cavalry to save the day (middle centre just behind the ditch)

Unfortunately the raw Scots lancers that they fought first hadn't read the script and drew two 10's, while Rupert's veteran supertroopers drew no hits, even after Rupert's replay and so were destroyed....opps   :o  Rupert himself was a little more fortunate and survived to join a nearby friendly foot unit.

The banter around the table during this game was fantastic and it really was worth the trip.

Lastly one picture for DGuy showing my thinking of how to depict highlanders - 5 irregularly placed figures in front (trying to show as a "highland charge") with 3 other figures in the rear. All the figures are from Pendraken's Jacobite range except the highland archers which come from the Early C16 range.

I hope you can see the pictures alright through your "sniper" ghille suit Techno  ;)

Duke Speedy of Leighton