ECW project - For King and Parliament

Started by paulr, 28 June 2018, 09:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Those are top notch !!  :-bd

Quote from: fsn on 15 May 2019, 09:31:53 AM
A Phil-a-beg is when you really, really, really want Techno to sculpt something.

OIK !!

Cheers - Phil  ;)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Phil, you should know by now - Nobby cant help it !!!
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

pierre the shy

18 May 2019, 04:44:33 AM #813 Last Edit: 18 May 2019, 04:52:45 AM by pierre the shy
Solved the issue of where to find about 200 30mm long pikes for my Scots Covenanter pikemen today (I got most of my pike figures from a different manufacturer and they are cast with an open handed pose). Mrs Shy wished to show me something she wanted in Spotlight, a chain of fabric/craft shops in NZ.

Spotted a pack of 200 30mm x 0.5mm pins for 7 bucks so threw them on the counter with the stuff Mrs Shy had selected.....she even paid for them  ;)

Will have to remind people to pick up the pike units by their bases.....

And yes the heads are even the correct shape - according to Reid the Scots used narrow square headed pike tips rather than the older broadleaf blade style.

Now i just need to paint 200 pikes and super glue them to the figures once they are painted....that should be fun frustrating  ~X(    
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

That's a good solution :)

If you want to super glue them to the figures when you clean them up I'll paint the pikes when I paint the rest of the figures
That should avoid damaging the paint work on the pikes or the figures :)

After a busy work week I finally made some more progress on the Irish
Scabbards and belts done :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: pierre the shy on 18 May 2019, 04:44:33 AM
Now i just need to paint 200 pikes and super glue them to the figures once they are painted....that should be fun frustrating  ~X(    

Enjoy !! ;)

As an aside to that....But still 'on topic'.
I've always found sculpting open handed figures a right pain in the bum...especially at the 10mm 'scale'.

If the pike is going to be made as an integral part of the model....I can fix the pike into the base and then 'attach' the arm, plus hand, to that....very straightforward, as the arm's 'armature/former' can be made from a very thin sausage of green stuff, which, once set, can be sculpted over....Usually with a very 'soft' putty, made up of a 50/50 mix of green stuff and Magic Sculp.

This saves all the hassle of using a piece of ultra fine brass thread as the arm's floating 'former'....Then sculpting over that......THAT is really, really fiddly.

Recently, Dave wanted a couple of open handed pikemen for his Elizabethan project. X_X
I experimented, by using a thin piece plastic rod as a replacement for the brass,  which I would have been using, if the pike was intended to be an integral part of the model.
This was very much like making a (for me) 'normal' "Man holding pike."

To my delight....Once the arm had set..I was able to carefully pull out the plastic rod, leaving the pike man with a ready made open hand. The green stuff hadn't stuck firmly to the plastic rod....Just as I hoped !

No swearing, at all !!

I hope that makes sense....and just maybe some of you just might find that a useful tip.

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

He hasn't mentioned that as he withdrew the plastic rod, he jabbed the other end into his nostril.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

It wasn't my nostril.....It would have been my eye, if the Optivisor hadn't got in the way.

(That was a complete lie.....I didn't even have to 'force' the plastic rod out.....You wait...next time I try this I'll be over confident, and it'll all go tots up. ;))

Cheers - Phil

Tots up  - some strange Welsh expression I assume ?

Techno

;)

I refuse to answer that question, on the grounds that I might incriminate myself.

Cheers - Phil

paulr

Metal work done on the Irish :)

More figures picked up, Dragoons & Forlorn Hope. Pierre the Shy is sorting and cleaning them up faster than I am painting them :!!

paulr