ECW project - For King and Parliament

Started by paulr, 28 June 2018, 09:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

Ultimately I would love to do refights of Dunbar and Worcester since Paul already has heeps of Parliamentary troops.....first up I will get him to do enough stuff to cover Montrose's 1644-45 actions as I am an avid follower of DGuy's Celtic Fringe blog and he has been very inspirational in getting the whole ECW project of the ground for me. Scots ECW actions are something that I have been wanting to fight since the early 1980's for various reasons.

Preparing painting guide and exact details for Paul  :-bd   
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

:-bd I'm looking forward to getting back to painting figures, its been a while ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

The second report on Cheriton has been posted http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18500.msg277204.html#msg277204

I'll get onto sorting the pictures for the third report after I've mowed the lawns :( :!!

paulr

Lawns mowed :)

Pictures for third report selected and post-processed :) :)

Scots Lancers to the head of the painting queue :!!

paulr

Labeled half the pictures for the third report and started on the words :)

Undercoated 5 Regiments of Scots Lancers :) :)

It is good to be working of figures again after 45 days :o focusing on terrain and other things required for Cheriton

pierre the shy

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Good  :D

Labelled the other half of the pictures for the third report :)

Sorted out all the figures from Cheriton and removed the temporary labels :)

Only one base needed any repairs, I ripped the corner of the permanent label when taking off the temporary one
Replacement glued on, will varnish tomorrow

paulr

Making good progress on the third report :)

I just need to work out what happened in the centre while I was focused somewhere else based on the limited number of pictures I took :-\ :-\ :-\

paulr

I've been asked by Pierre the Shy to include some grey horses in his units of Scots Lancers

I normally don't paint greys so am open to suggestions on the colours I should use :-\

My normal approach to painting horses is to base coat in a darker colour then dry brush with a lighter colour
For example my Chestnuts are base coated with Beige Brown and highlighted Light Brown
The mane and tail is then done with an appropriate single colour and a black wash near the end of the painting brings out the details

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Coat d'arms Horse grey, universal grey highlight, white dry brush
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Thanks ML, I'll give them a go with Vallejo Medium Grey and Sky Grey highlights and decide if I need the white dry brush

As you have already noticed I've posted my third report on Cheriton, here http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18505.msg277347.html#msg277347

So now I can crack on with Pierre the Shy's Scots :!!

FierceKitty

All those hedges - one has to wonder how cavalry were so important in this war. Would equitationally-oriented members of this forum care to comment on the difficulties of taking a regiment over an obstacle like that every few hundred yards?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Its almost boccage territory!
A level history time: Most of England at this time was undergoing the enclosure movement (upland areas were different, but that's another essay), whether legally or not (You needed an act if parliememt) the rolling and open fields of the three field system were being done away with and larger land owners were enclosing ther space into smaller packets of land.
You also have to remember that hedges in those days were not the machine trimmed versions we have today, but were wider and deeper  unless newly laid.
This is one of the things the Levellers hated.
Cavalry hated it ..
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Good points, Will. :)

There was me thinking that the horses wouldn't find hedges too difficult to clear.

'Modern', well trained, gee gees wouldn't find things too bad....Think of what they're capable of, in something like the Grand National.....BUT.....I can't imagine there would have been very many (if ANY) of that proficiency in those times.
I'd take a wild stab that some of the horses that were used, got a certain amount of 'practice' if they were used for hunting.......Perhaps ?? :-\

Untrained horses (I imagine) would have been a potential nightmare, though horses do tend to play 'follow the leader'....So, if the first one clears the obstacle, a lot would try and emulate the first over the hedge.
On the other hand....Probably quite a number would refuse, and potentially send their riders over the hedge, instead

Yep....I can imagine Cavalry hating this type of terrain.

Cheers - Phil

paulr

I suspect it was more a case of forcing your way through the hedges rather than jumping over them, but I wasn't there :-\

Cheriton was particularly enclosed in comparison with other ECW battlefields and note that the Horse did try and get into the two more open areas; Lamborough fields near Yew Farm and the open grazing land towards Cheriton Wood

Scots Lancers' horses base coated and dry brushed :)

I went with Medium Grey, dry brushed Sky Grey, light dry brushed Ivory for the Greys and they don't look too bad ;)