ECW project - For King and Parliament

Started by paulr, 28 June 2018, 09:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Outstanding as always!  :-bd

I'm guessing you're adding a new pole to the foot standard bearers to fit the flags? Don't think flags that size will fit on the standard model.

pierre the shy

Quote from: Techno on 17 January 2019, 07:10:08 AM
They are superb.....I really am astonished how you keep up such a wonderful standard, and paint and base them so quickly.
:-bd =D> :-bd

Maybe Paul just can't wait to get started on some of my Highlanders in tartan plaids  :)  ;)  

The main reason for the big push to finish these is actually because Paul had confirmed with the NZ Nationals organisers that they have enough table space for us to play Cheriton at Easter which are being held in Paraparaumu, about an hour north of Wellington.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

FierceKitty

Plaids are always tartan, aren't they? Just cloaks otherwise (I speak open to correction by true Caledonians).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Westmarcher

Speaking as a born and bred Scotsman, I don't know ....  :-[

I've very rarely worn tartan (in fact, the only time I've worn the kilt was recently at my daughter's wedding!) but, given that official clan tartans are reckoned in some quarters to be largely an 18th/19th Century invention courtesy of an enterprising kilt maker,* I tend to regard "plaid" as a chequered pattern and so not necessarily a 'recognised'** tartan.

A cloak is a cloak, I suppose, whether it is a red one, a blue one, a plaid one, etc. 

* but did he get many of his ideas from local weavers who just happened to ply their trade in their own clan areas and therefore their patterns became the local fashion or 'clan tartan?'
** (and the debate goes on..) but what is a 'recognised' tartan? I didn't wear my clan tartan at the wedding and, instead, wore one of the modern patterns (can't remember the name, but it was very fetching. B) ).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

I'm guessing you're a lowlander, though I know that's a terrible accusation.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Lowlander though I am, I'll say that a full plaid is length of tartan cloth that is wrapped around the waist, draped over the shoulder and fastened at the front with a brooch.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Quote from: paulr on 09 January 2019, 05:03:05 AM
'English' Painted and based
    752 Foot
    318 Mounted
      15 Guns
1,085 Total

The quantity and quality continue to amaze!
In the same period I have managed one (1) 10mm, single arch stone bridge.
Sleep with clean hands ...

pierre the shy

Quote from: Ithoriel on 17 January 2019, 11:42:31 AM
Lowlander though I am, I'll say that a full plaid is length of tartan cloth that is wrapped around the waist, draped over the shoulder and fastened at the front with a brooch.

OK I have been educated  :)

Paul was a bit anxious about depicting tartan in 10mm but has come up with a simple but effective method which looks effective. Each figure will be unique, as Westmarcher pointed out this was well before the "invention" of official clan tartans. 
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

d_Guy

In Prebble's book The King's Jaunt (George IV visit to Scotland in 1822), it relates that Sir Walter Scot send off to all the lairds a request for an example of their "tartan". They apparently grabbed the first thing they could find that resembled a pattern and sent it in. English tailors took it from there, doing a marvelous job of "tarting" them up.

Incidently I used various approachs to painting mine, the best being 0.25 Pentel pens in various colors. I don't have Paul's skills (or tenacity) so he will likely develop a better approach.
Sleep with clean hands ...

paulr

Quote from: mmcv on 17 January 2019, 07:30:46 AM
Outstanding as always!  :-bd

I'm guessing you're adding a new pole to the foot standard bearers to fit the flags? Don't think flags that size will fit on the standard model.

I cut the existing pole and add a bit of wire in the flag between the two parts of the existing pole
Not as strong as adding a new pole but a lot less effort
Any repairs will hopefully only involve replacing the flag
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Quote from: paulr on 17 January 2019, 06:35:48 PM
I cut the existing pole and add a bit of wire in the flag between the two parts of the existing pole

Yeah, I was considering doing something similar myself, have models lined up with different flag sizes trying to decide on what to do!

mollinary

Quote from: paulr on 17 January 2019, 06:35:48 PM

And I thought I was the only one to do this!  :D ;)
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

If I'm understanding this procedure correctly ..... me, too! ....... but utilised to avoid painting the cast-on flags that you get with Pendraken's Prussian SYW infantry standard bearers (both the Austrian and Prussian cavalry flags were murder to paint by the way - has anyone seen how ornate some 18th Century flags are? ..... Leon .... never, ever do this to us again).

When it came to doing the Prussian infantry flags, I therefore gave painting the cast-on flags, a body swerve and ordered extra Prussian Grenadier officers with pole arms (these wear bicornes, by the way) and (I think) followed a similar technique (except I used cut down pikes from some Irregular Miniatures figures I had purchased instead of wire).

Having said all of that, for figures that don't have cast-on flags, do you know you can now get some flag manufacturers to reduce the size of flags to your own specifications to fit the flag pole the miniatures manufacturer presents you with? For example, I was able to recently acquire some customised flags (size wise) from Wargames Designs for some 15mm Peter Pig figures which met my specifications exactly.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.