ECW project - For King and Parliament

Started by paulr, 28 June 2018, 09:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldenBUA

Very interested to see your take on these as I am still painting the same figures. Not for ECW though. It does seem you have a different approach. I always start with the skin, then clothes, then belts etc. So painting from the inside out, if you understand my meaning.

And maybe I can ask you as well. What do you think the flag bearer from the command set is holding in his hand? It's the figures on the outside in the last row in the centre section of your example unit. Next to the drummers. To me it looks like a Colt .45 handgun, but I'm pretty sure that's not what it is.  :P

Cheers, Alex
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

paulr

OldenBUA, I use quite a bit of dry brushing so would get 'overshoot' onto skin etc hence I take an outside in approach

I'm also intrigued by what the flag bearer is holding. I've gone with a belt helping to support the end of the flag pole. Zippee looks to have painted his flag bearers this way as well

Once these are based I'll be looking for feedback and suggestions
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Figures washed :)

Bases labeled and numbered to make returning figures to the right sabot easier :)

pierre the shy

Here's a couple of concept shots of Argyle's cuirassier bodyguard* and a typical highland clan unit that I am going to be using for my Scots W3K stuff. The sabot bases are for FK&P rules and mean that units can be easily adjusted to represent small or large sized units or have a central block of pike inserted if required to represent say a "regular" highland levy regiment such as the Strathbogie regiment that fought for Montrose in 1644/45 campaign.

Highland Batallia

Argyle's Bodyguard

* According to the BCW Wiki this unit did exist: http://wiki.bcw-project.org/covenanter/horse-regiments/marquis-of-argyll-s-lifeguard and besides, what gamer will say no to such a unit  ;)

Any thoughts on layout/figure distribution etc?

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

d_Guy

Indeed, Peter! Everybody needs cuirssiers! This is, after, all suppose to be fun. I have a small unit (which I was tempted to use at Fyvie but probably will be used at Kilsyth). It can be flagged as either Hasslerig's or Argyle's. I Like the way you guys are planning to do the basing.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

d_Guy

Quote from: paulr on 13 July 2018, 03:21:17 AM
I'm also intrigued by what the flag bearer is holding. I've gone with a belt helping to support the end of the flag pole. Zippee looks to have painted his flag bearers this way as well
I've always interpreted this figure's left hand to be gripping the pommel/guard of his sword with his waist sash bunched up in front. The flag has a short staff with (I think) a suggestion of a ball on the butt, an arrangement used for flourishing and tossing.
It is somewhat like an inkblot test!  :D
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

paulr

Pierre the Shy, looking good :)

One observation, you should have some 40x20 spacers you can use with Argyle's Bodyguard rather than multiple 40x9s

paulr

Thanks d_Guy, the sash/sword hilt makes more sense

It's interesting that you mention the short flag staff...

paulr

I've had three minor challenges:

• I managed to over wash one of the figures, fortunately only on the pike head and upper shaft, a quick repaint has sorted this (may need a rewash)
  • Some how I managed to miss painting one side of the pike heads on half the pikes #-o The light grey undercoat may have been giving a NMM effect :^o Now painted, will need a wash
  • The flags I've developed and printed for the foot are too big for the flag staff :o

The information I'd found gave the size of foot flags as 6' so I sized my flags to be 10mm. After some test fitting it looks as though the biggest flag I can get on the flag staff is 7mm
If I've got my arithmetic right that's 3'5" in 1:150 scale, how big are the Pendraken flags :-\

Time to resize some flags and reprint :!!

My 5mm cornets for the Horse do fit :)

OldenBUA

13 July 2018, 09:54:16 PM #39 Last Edit: 13 July 2018, 09:59:38 PM by OldenBUA
I also found that flag staff a little too short. What I have done in some cases is to cut the staff. Then fit the flag on the bottom bit of the staff, and insert the rest of the staff at the top. A bit fiddly, but works for me. The Pendraken flags that I have are 11mm tall, 13.5mm wide.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

pierre the shy

Yes did find the bigger inserts at the bottom of the pile thanks Paul.

Nice idea if using slightly bigger flags OldenBUA  :)

I have found some good online Covenanter flags but at correct scale (about 10mm as Paul says) the "for Covenent, crowne and countrie" (or whatever it is) writing on the "saltire" type flags tends to be largely illeglible and I'm only showing the scrolls on the colonels flags not the actual mottos, though their heraldic devices still show up OK. The unit will be identified correctly on the label on the back of the base. 
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

mollinary

Quote from: OldenBUA on 13 July 2018, 09:54:16 PM
I also found that flag staff a little too short. What I have done in some cases is to cut the staff. Then fit the flag on the bottom bit of the staff, and insert the rest of the staff at the top. A bit fiddly, but works for me. The Pendraken flags that I have are 11mm tall, 13.5mm wide.

Where this is a problem I have also done the  same. To prevent creasing I often fill the middle section with a short piece of fuse wire.  I reckon that, to be in scale, the flag should be at least 12 mm.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

paulr

• I managed to over wash one of the figures, fortunately only on the pike head and upper shaft, a quick repaint has sorted this (may need a rewash) Sorted, did need the rewash
  • Some how I managed to miss painting one side of the pike heads on half the pikes #-o The light grey undercoat may have been giving a NMM effect :^o Now painted, will need a wash Sorted
  • The flags I've developed and printed for the foot are too big for the flag staff :o Flags resized

Thanks for the suggestions on flag size, I'll have a chat to Pierre the Shy tonight about the Foot flags and staff lengths :-
I'll also print off my resized flags to see how they look, I also came up with a better way of dealing with the 'bit between the two flags, that wraps round the staff'

Figures have had their final dry brush and bases painted :) :)

I've also prepared 6 horse units for when the painting rods free up tomorrow

paulr

Flags resized again, this time to 12mm, will print them tomorrow and experiment with extra wire :-SS

6 units of Horse undercoated :)

First two units based :)

paulr

The weather was kind today so

• flock touched up
  • flags added
  • varnished
  • pictures taken