Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
20 October 2019, 01:30:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We've released an excellent V1 Launch ramp!
285226 Posts in 16997 Topics by 2190 Members
Latest Member: psutcliffe
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Wider Wargaming
| |-+  Painting & Modelling
| | |-+  Painting Diaries (Moderator: nikharwood)
| | | |-+  ECW project - For King and Parliament
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 73 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ECW project - For King and Parliament  (Read 51079 times)
ianrs54
Playtester
Lieutenant General

« Reply #870 on: 13 June 2019, 11:22:38 AM »

Yep - Monsoon season round here. Mind you gets lots of cash from the Ferry fares !

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF HURRAY

Muppet of the year 2019
Techno
Count

« Reply #871 on: 13 June 2019, 02:31:25 PM »

We've been missing out on the worst here, Ian.....After reading about what it's been like in other places in the UK.

For a (massive) change we're getting off very lightly.  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Cheers - Mr Not-Quite-So-Soggy.

FSN IS an oik...I wonder when he'll change his signature again . :-)
Techno....AND STILL.....The most picked on member of the forum since 2011
pierre the shy
Lieutenant Colonel

« Reply #872 on: 15 June 2019, 06:18:12 AM »

Bases & flags done for the first 3 Covenanter foot regiments - The General of Artillery's Regt, Colonel John Innes' Regt and Colonel Alexander Stewart's. Researching and making up the Covenanter flags in MS Paint and GIMP has been very time consuming but I'm pretty confident that they are correct..... Nerd Nerd Nerd 

Collecting the three Royalist standing regiments - Strathbogie Regt, Farquharson of Monaltrie's and William Gordon of Minimore's - from Paul tomorrow (hopefully).

Prepared enough pike figures and pins for 3 more regiments (only 3 more to do after these are done).

We are going on a bit of road trip tomorrow, about 75km up the coast to Levin to refight the Battle of Marsden Moor in 28mm using FK&P rules that one of the players that took part in Paul's Cheriton refight is hosting.

Should be a good day out - costing me a LOT of brownie points to escape for the day though  Wink 

"this plan makes the Charge of the Light Brigade seem like a sensible military operation"
mad lemmey
Count

« Reply #873 on: 15 June 2019, 08:01:25 AM »

That sounds cool

Chekov's Gun, Occam's Razor, and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle walk into a bar. You won't believe what happens next!

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner 😎
pierre the shy
Lieutenant Colonel

« Reply #874 on: 15 June 2019, 11:56:49 AM »

That sounds cool

Yes should be worth the drive Lemmey  Smiley

Rob, one of our Saturday night regulars, has travellied a bit further to take part in this Waterloo refight in Glasgow run by Tony Pollard this weekend: http://www.waterlooreplayed.com/about.html

He's helping to umpire if I remember correctly......the sight of thousands of well painted 28mm Napoleonics would be worth witnessing  Wink

"this plan makes the Charge of the Light Brigade seem like a sensible military operation"
mad lemmey
Count

« Reply #875 on: 15 June 2019, 12:24:52 PM »

A mate from Glasgow is playing...

Chekov's Gun, Occam's Razor, and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle walk into a bar. You won't believe what happens next!

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner 😎
paulr
General

« Reply #876 on: 15 June 2019, 07:55:17 PM »

The three Royalist standing regiments are packed and ready for Pierre the Shy to collect Smiley

I managed to get the first three Covenanter foot regiments under coated yesterday Smiley

My wife's working today so I don't need to expend any brownie points but definitely looking forward to the day even if they're using the 'wrong' scale Wink

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
pierre the shy
Lieutenant Colonel

« Reply #877 on: 18 June 2019, 12:44:35 PM »

99% finished putting together the three Royalist regiments, just need to finish edging the flags (3 of them took 2 attempts to print and stick on properly tonight) but I am letting the glue dry properly overnight before doing that.

The Marsden Moor road trip went really well, even with 60+ units on the table we had around 10 players all up so we were cormfortably able to complete 2 games in a day. The results were historical with 2 Parliamentary wins in the end, though the Royalists did not make it easy in either game.

I will put up some pictures of the game and the 10mm stuff sometime soon.

Techno
Count

« Reply #878 on: 18 June 2019, 12:58:37 PM »

Oooooh......Squeaks of excitement.  Smiley

Gettamoveon you slacker(s).

(Don't care.....It's always worth the wait !! Smiley)

Cheers - Phil

ianrs54
Playtester
Lieutenant General

« Reply #879 on: 18 June 2019, 02:37:57 PM »

Oooooh......Squeaks of excitement.  Smiley

Careful - the cat or maybe even one of the dogs will mistake you for a rodent, and get you !

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF HURRAY

Muppet of the year 2019
Techno
Count

« Reply #880 on: 18 June 2019, 03:01:51 PM »

Nah....The (HAH !) Lab 'puppy' knows the difference between me and the 'bar stewards' I shoot, when I have to.

Cheers -The sniper.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2019, 03:04:18 PM by Techno » Logged

paulr
General

« Reply #881 on: 18 June 2019, 09:01:55 PM »

The Marsden Moor road trip went really well, even with 60+ units on the table we had around 10 players all up so we were comfortably able to complete 2 games in a day. The results were historical with 2 Parliamentary wins in the end, though the Royalists did not make it easy in either game.     

It was indeed a very enjoyable day out, thanks for the lift Pierre Smiley

paulr
General

« Reply #882 on: 19 June 2019, 05:53:12 AM »

Managed to make a start on the three Covenanter foot regiments Smiley

The limited armour and helmets base coated & highlighted Smiley Smiley

pierre the shy
Lieutenant Colonel

« Reply #883 on: 19 June 2019, 11:16:29 AM »

A few ECW related pictures:

Royalist "standing regiments" - since they were raised in 1639 and had an initial outfit of armour for the pikes I have included three EC 16 figures per pike block to represent armoured men.

In order to differentiate the Royalists I did not use the traditional Scots saltire flag since the Covenanters used it so extensively amongst their regiments. The "Lion Rampant" flag is reserved for the personal use of the King or his designated leutenant (in this case Montrose) so it will only appear on Montrose's command stand when made. Instead following the green harp colours I used for the Irish Brigade I chose to show the "Scottishness" of these guys by using the arms of Scotland on a blue background as used by the Kings Footguards in 1650. The colonels colours are all adopted from those made available on the fabulous Project Auldearn 1645 blogsite at http://auldearn1645.blogspot.com/      

The Strathbogie Regiment:

Three regiments together:

from behind:

Marsden Moor 25mm Game:

In the first game I controlled the Parliamentary left wing cavalry - 2 brigades of raw Dutch style horse and Leven's Scots cavalry brigade.  

Next door to me Paul had Leslie's Scots foot:

After lunch we swapped sides and I ran some of the Royalist foot. Unfortunately Cromwell's cavalry overwhelmed the Royalist right wing cavalry in fairly short order so Rupert lead out his bodyguard of supercharged Swedish style cavalry to save the day (middle centre just behind the ditch)

Unfortunately the raw Scots lancers that they fought first hadn't read the script and drew two 10's, while Rupert's veteran supertroopers drew no hits, even after Rupert's replay and so were destroyed....opps   Shocked  Rupert himself was a little more fortunate and survived to join a nearby friendly foot unit.

The banter around the table during this game was fantastic and it really was worth the trip.

Lastly one picture for DGuy showing my thinking of how to depict highlanders - 5 irregularly placed figures in front (trying to show as a "highland charge") with 3 other figures in the rear. All the figures are from Pendraken's Jacobite range except the highland archers which come from the Early C16 range.

I hope you can see the pictures alright through your "sniper" ghille suit Techno  Wink
« Last Edit: 19 June 2019, 11:25:08 AM by pierre the shy » Logged

mad lemmey
Count

« Reply #884 on: 19 June 2019, 01:04:46 PM »

Very nice

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 73 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: