2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Luvverly stuff, again, Paul !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

paulr

Sir Thomas Blackwall & Colonel Stephen Hawkin's Regiments

Two Regiments brigaded to form a battalia, don't you just love the precision and clarity of English ;)

Sir Thomas Blackwall Regiment had black coats and black flags, device unknown. I've gone with the Lieutenant-Colonel's flag

Colonel Stephen Hawkin's Regiment had white coats, flag colour and device unknown. I've gone with a white Lieutenant-Colonel's flag
Lord Lensman of Wellington

paulr

The foot flags are 12mm square with the flag staff cut and and an extra 5mm of wire added :-SS :)
Thanks for the advise OldenBUA and Mollinary :)

A special thanks to those who convinced me to go with sabots
I'm really pleased with the look and the flexibility :) :) :)

Pike Heavy

Shot Heavy

Commanded shot

paulr

Any thoughts or feedback welcome

I'm still not sure about the mix of uniform and non-uniform colours in the units, particularly the proportions :-\

Any odd or jarring colour choices...

Techno

Wot I sed before.  :-bd

The colours, and the mix, look fine to me. :)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Given the paucity of information on the Civil War uniform colours, and to what extent they were worn anyway, I think you have the mix about right. Besides, it does make the units a lot more versatile, especially if you have a few spare command stands to slot in. Very nice work indeed.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

pierre the shy

"Impressive...very impressive"...they look even better based than when I saw them still on their painting sticks last weekend.

Seeing the first completed units gives me the feeling that my (very long held) desire to play W3K period games is finally being realised. Think we have found a really good combination in 10mm figures and the FK&P rules to make this happen.

Its a long way from my first motivation back in the early 80's watching Peter Livesy's 25mm Minifigs Scots Royalists blasting away their opponents with salvo fire using George Gush's WRG Renaissence rules.

And yes the sabot basing does work well  :)     
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

d_Guy

I very much like the mix of coat colors plus you've put in enough of a single color (grey) to make it look like one of the two regiments portrayed at least got an issue of coats. I agree with Leman's comment that ECW gives a good deal of leeway for imagination. The sabots are excellent, particularly putting command on thin strips and using spacers for different configurations. I think that will pay dividends in the future.

The painting's not too either!

One suggestion for some future regiments - put the ORs in a single coat and breeches color but all the officers in civilian dress - I think it is a nice look.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Westmarcher

Looking good plus, the sabots are worth the extra effort when done as well as yours.  :-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

paulr

Thanks all  :-[ :)

d_Guy, these units are probably at the most mixed end of the spectrum, other units will definitely have more 'uniform' colours

mollinary

Looking great Paul.  I think the idea for officers is a good one. I cannot recall any indication that any but the most junior (corporals, drummers etc) would have worn an issued 'uniform'. To show their social status they would have worn the best they could afford , within the limits of their  budget and practicality. I seem to recall a number of officers with pretensions as 'professional' soldiers would have worn predominantly red. The sabots look brilliant?
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Shutuphippie

Looks fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Painting Competition - Winner!