Admiral

Started by SV52, 25 June 2018, 12:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV52

Watched a Dutch movie of that name last night on Amazon Prime.  It concerns Admiral Michiel de Ruyter and his role in the Anglo-Dutch Wars of the 17th century.  I'm no expert in the period and even less of one in naval warfare, so it was a decent couple of hours of entertainment and I commend it as such. 

The usual arguments over accuracy/inaccuracy are irrelevant to me, so don't bother posting any here - start your own thread  :P
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

fsn

Is that the one with Charles Dance? Keep looking at it and haven't dived in as yet.

I watched "Night Witches" about female Russian pilots bombing the Germans. At night. From biplanes (Pe2?). Very uplifting in a Russian sort of way.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Quote from: fsn on 25 June 2018, 12:33:07 PM
From biplanes (Pe2?).

Polikarpov Po-2

Quote from: SV52 on 25 June 2018, 12:30:02 PM
Watched a Dutch movie of that name last night on Amazon Prime.  It concerns Admiral Michiel de Ruyter and his role in the Anglo-Dutch Wars of the 17th century.  I'm no expert in the period and even less of one in naval warfare, so it was a decent couple of hours of entertainment and I commend it as such.

Don't have Amazon Prime, must see if it's accessible elsewhere. Sounds interesting.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

d_Guy

Amazon Prime has a good deal to commend it - currently watching Mary Beard's "Meet the Romans" and "How to Command a Nuclear Submarine" (about the RN's Perisher course).
Sleep with clean hands ...

SV52

Quote from: fsn on 25 June 2018, 12:33:07 PM
Is that the one with Charles Dance? Keep looking at it and haven't dived in as yet.

I watched "Night Witches" about female Russian pilots bombing the Germans. At night. From biplanes (Pe2?). Very uplifting in a Russian sort of way.

Yup, that's the one.  He plays Charlie 2, only in it for his name looks like, anybody could've played the part.

Noticed the 'Night Witches' one, could be tempted.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

toxicpixie

There's an excellent set of comics on the Night Witches, in Garth Ennis's "Battlefields" series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefields_(comics)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting