Hello: Steve in Glasgow

Started by steve_holmes_11, 24 June 2018, 12:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

A bit late posting here since I've been active on the forum for about a fortnight.

Mid 50s father of 3 who has been gaming on and off since the heyday of Airfix and when there were local libraries with Featherstone books to lend.

During the last few years I've developed a focus on specifics, with a view to "projects" (There must be a better term for this) that actually result in games.
This has seen a shift from big battle to a greater number of skirmish style games.
I still enjoy the occasional big game.

Current stuff:
   6mm Napoleonics using Black Powder - Generally my Russian Division against my pal's Austrians, or Franco-Bavarian force.
   Song of Blades and Heroes - various settings.
   Song of Drums and Shakos - an outlet for some long-serving 20mm plastics.
   Dux Bellorum - Lots of 6mm forces assembled for that "Great all Britain conquest campaign" that I never find time for.
   Congo - I had no interest in Colonials or Darkest Africa until I met these rules - Now one of my top 3 game systems.

I also work on home-brewed game rules, most of which are at an "In progress" stage. Titles include:
  Blatterball - a game of football administration and corruption.
  Flat Earth Explorer (Don't fall off the edge) - Steampunk airships in a dash to discover the world.
  An Mein Volk - A grid based Napoleonic game for the big battles of 1813-14.
  OrkLife - RolePlaying meets Tribe Building meets Survival - you begin te game as an orc youth.

A few loose ends, which will probably be tied together under the OrkLife umbrella.
  Tribal - Tribal warfare rules, looks great - I'm looking to adapt them to an Orc setting.
  Palaeo Diet - Stone age hunter gathering "Eat or be eaten" - Again I'm looking to implement an Orc themed setting.

As you'll see, Orcs are my go-to proxy where a generic forces is required.

Other Matters:

Scales:

I'm a big fan of 6mm, through eyesight issues mean I've probably made my last 6mm purchase - I hope 10mm will fill the gap.

15mm for skirmish and mass-battle (I don't have a 12' x 8' table).
Some older 20mm plastics.
about 60 28mm's colledted for Frostgrave, SOBAH and the like.

Leman

Welcome Steve; I'm sure you'll find something to tickle your fancy in 10mm. I too have recently moved into a bit of Skirmish, namely Ronin and Saga: Aetius and Arthur. I also play Dux Bellorum and Dux Britanniarum. Game in 2mm, 3mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 15mm and 28mm, but no fantasy apart from HOTT - well I have to use that Warmaster dragon somewhere.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Welcome.

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 24 June 2018, 12:31:40 PM
Mid 50s father of 3 who has been gaming on and off since the heyday of Airfix and when there were local libraries with Featherstone books to lend.
Good man.

I also work on home-brewed game rules, most of which are at an "In progress" stage. Titles include:
Excellent.

I'm a big fan of 6mm, through eyesight issues mean I've probably made my last 6mm purchase - I hope 10mm will fill the gap.
10mm is the scale of the future. 15mm is dead, and doesn't know it yet.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

SV52

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

More da*med foreigners

Moaning
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Quote from: fsn on 24 June 2018, 01:13:34 PM
Welcome.
Good man.
Excellent.
10mm is the scale of the future. 15mm is dead, and doesn't know it yet.

Me, I concur.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

Very excellent introduction, Steve. Welcome! I must say you already have an impressive body of work (thoughtful and/or entertaining posts) which might actually threaten to raise the standards here. OK, probably not - lost cause really - but good effort!

BTW - I’m a bit of a fan of Ganesha Games myself.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Techno

Welcome, Steve !!

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

Welcome on board from another mid-fifties Dad :)

Ithoriel

Welcome from a mid 60s father of two boys ... nice to see youngsters joining up  :)

Perversely, the worse my eye-sight and hand-eye coordination get the smaller the figures that attract my attention.

I love the "Tribal" rules and have the "Primeval" supplement. We have a small, irregularly run campaign, using 15mm figures, in which my Homo Heidelbergensis tribe are showing why they are now extinct! :)

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

T13A

Hi Steve

Just to add my welcome from one a few years older than you.

I am/used to be a big fan of 6mm as well but have similar eyesight issues, I just use them for Napoleonics, Blucher rules.

Not sure about the demise of 15mm as there is already an awful lot out there and being used, that said if I was starting ACW again I would certainly go down the 10mm route, Pendraken of course.

Cheers from Somerset. Paul
T13A Out!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

Welcome Steve from an Early 50's father of 3 girls.

I currently do Black powder for ACW and War of Spanish succession. in 10mm
The men who would be kings for Colonial 28mm
Chain of Command in 20mm
and Blitzkrieg commander 2 for early war
For Ancients awe are just starting to use sword and spear.
We will be trying out sword and spear fantasy soon in 28mm.

Not sure about using Orcs for "Skirmish" Fantasy.  I and two friends started that way .......we now field an army of some 1600 Orcs between us/

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

Quote from: d_Guy on 24 June 2018, 02:50:03 PM
Very excellent introduction, Steve. Welcome! I must say you already have an impressive body of work (thoughtful and/or entertaining posts) which might actually threaten to raise the standards here. OK, probably not - lost cause really - but good effort!

Second :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!