Started by Dave, 22 June 2018, 07:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dave

Hope to get a picture of the tank, after research on the net, comments from the tank museum land ships etc, I've gone for my mark 4 in brown, black tracks.  so trip to halfords for the best colour to match milk chocolate.  Leon's got the pic :D(error occurred going to my address >:().  To add are the white red white strips and I think letters.  Started display with a 900mm section of rolled barded wire, base marked out ready for tank and shell holes and part of a trench system.

Dave

fsn

A name, Sir! It must have a Name!

"Fray Bentos" would be stirring in it's ... trench?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

17 July 2018, 08:11:51 PM #33 Last Edit: 17 July 2018, 09:08:08 PM by mollinary
A name is a great idea! I set out to try and find some authentic ones with a variety of searches. I came across landships  - home a google site, which has everything you could ever want about WW1 British tanks, including known names, with serial numbers and tank types, in alphabetical order!  Wow!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Dave

Quote from: fsn on 17 July 2018, 07:55:07 PM
A name, Sir! It must have a Name!

"Fray Bentos" would be stirring in it's ... trench?

What about 'dodgy dave' ;)

Dave

fsn

17 July 2018, 09:06:34 PM #35 Last Edit: 17 July 2018, 10:05:18 PM by fsn
Surely the only name would be "Milady"?

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Ithoriel

Take your pick

https://sites.google.com/site/landships/home/lists/lists-of-world-war-one-tanks-by-name

Sadly, neither Milady nor Dodgy Dave seem to be recorded as potential names :(

I do like the sound of

"Dominion" a Mark V which on 8-Aug-18 attacked with a piper playing on its roof!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Kia Ora 19 Apr 17 – f, "Gaza" tank -  2Lt Winder – 155 brig – Attacked Outpost Hill, developed Mechanical trouble and returned safely

Gets my vote even if the wrong 'gender' ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dave

Latest pics and diorama :D

fsn

Looking very ... chocolatey.

Two questions: Have you decided on a name? What are you going to do with it when it's finished?

Sorry three questions: What's the next project? These riveted hulls are fine, but have you thought about something with a cast hull?

Dave

Quote from: fsn on 18 July 2018, 07:42:50 PM
Looking very ... chocolatey.

Two questions: Have you decided on a name? What are you going to do with it when it's finished?

Sorry three questions: What's the next project? These riveted hulls are fine, but have you thought about something with a cast hull?

First question, on display at College, then in Darlington Cornmill for the 100th armistice? as I understand at this moment?

I can fabricate a component to look like a cast hull.  My colleague has said why don't we build a tiger tank!!!!!!!! shall I talk him out of that and suggest another post war tank?

Dave

Dave

Quote from: Dave on 18 July 2018, 07:51:26 PM
First question, on display at College, then in Darlington Cornmill for the 100th armistice? as I understand at this moment?

I can fabricate a component to look like a cast hull.  My colleague has said why don't we build a tiger tank!!!!!!!! shall I talk him out of that and suggest another post war tank?

Dave

Missed the name, yes but don't know, at mercy of paint department,  chocolaty colour describe by curator at Bovington and paint found internally on the Brussels MK4.

Dave

fsn

Chocolate is a very good colour for a WWI tank. You could name it "Dairy Milk"*

Not a Tiger, please!  =) Crusader would be fun - all angles, or a M3 Lee? Dingo, Daimler or Humber a/c?

... perhaps I should let you finish this one first.

Sorry.  :-[

* I still prefer "Milady".

OldenBUA

Who are you and what have you done with Nobby?

Dave mentioned 'another postwar tank' and come up with this??!!
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Dave

The base is done, papermache work finished and I did my own basetex mix (needed a lot) with left over emulsion paint -  egg shell blue, watered PVA and sand from the construction department.  I've fastened the barbed wire into position making it look like the tanks going over the top.  I need brown spray paint to paint the base and highlight and pour gel into the creates to create pools of water.

Dave