2018 Top 10 Requests!

Started by Leon, 20 June 2018, 05:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Quote from: Techno on 11 August 2018, 10:17:09 AM
Well......I already know what my next projects are going to be, for Da Boss !
Don't know about the other guys, though.  :-

Cheers - Phil

Yeah, we know.  8) 

On the current project- how's the Korean bike combo with DP LMG coming on ?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Oh....Stop it ! :P ;)

Lemmey's going to get a load of.....Wossthislooklike, Will ? .....In the next couple of weeks.

Quote from: Sunray on 11 August 2018, 10:22:29 AM
On the current project- how's the Korean bike combo with DP LMG coming on ?

Well.....I've got a packet of bikes & riders  sitting on my desk......But I don't know when I'm going to be pulling them out of the jiffy bag.
I know I've got another 'project' to do as soon as I can.....When they arrive from Middlesbrough.....But there'll be a lot of folk that'll be happy with that.

(No clues.....Bog off !  ;)  ;D ;D ;D ;D)

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Quote from: Techno on 11 August 2018, 07:33:23 AM
I'm not sure I want to know what that looks like !! :o
James Bond. Basically sexy spies. Though there was the film with Robert Downey Jr and that was based on a book.  :-\

Aren't these just from "Carry on Spying"?

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: Techno on 11 August 2018, 10:52:57 AM
Oh....Stop it ! :P ;)

Lemmey's going to get a load of.....Wossthislooklike, Will ? .....In the next couple of weeks.
Honestly excited to help. :) 8)
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Will.....

I think this'll be a lot easier than the last two 'wossnames' ranges you've been helping me with*.  :)

*...and they're nearly finished.

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Where are the Duck Knights, and Wombles with AK's ?  :'( :'( :d
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

No, armoured bears and meerkats!

Sunray

Quote from: fsn on 11 August 2018, 10:54:49 AM

I was thinking more the KGB types and Freelance agents in the Copplestone range.  Fit nicely as agents, undercover soldiers or gun dealers. Mark C. is no mean sculptor in 28mm.  His 10mm fantasy is neat too.

Does anyone else do role play skirmish in 10mm ? I introduced it to our Christmas family war game some years ago.  An espionage precursor, with the winner getting the edge.   

fsn

To clarify - "kiss kiss, bang bang" was originally the sexy spies bit.

Those Cobblestone castings look like Babs Windsor, Charles Hawtry and Kenneth Williams.

The rest of the Cobblestone range are a bit more serious.

Apart maybe from the evil geniuses?

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Sunray

12 August 2018, 12:13:00 PM #25 Last Edit: 12 August 2018, 12:15:34 PM by Sunray
Quote from: fsn on 11 August 2018, 10:24:48 PM
To clarify - "kiss kiss, bang bang" was originally the sexy spies bit.

Those Cobblestone castings look like Babs Windsor, Charles Hawtry and Kenneth Williams.

The rest of the Cobblestone range are a bit more serious.

[img height=200[/img]

Thanks Nobby- its an eclectic little range in 28mm.  But the KGB type sculpts have potential in  range of games from Cold War agents/resistance, to futuristic scenarios.   Could also be used as terrorists and/or undercover soldiers.   :)  

But ...its not in the Pendraken master plan, so I will continue to look for existing figures to modify.

Orcs

Well its been an easy night shift so I will put in my tuppence worth.   

Top 10 Ranges:

1.   Naps in India
2.   War of 1812
3.   1920's/1930's Gangsters
4.   Yom Kippur
5.   Modern Infantry (US/UK)
6.   Medieval Expansion
7.   Modern Insurgents (Afghan/African)
8.   Boxer Rebellion
9.   Renaissance Italian Wars
10. Mexican-American War - NEW ENTRY!

Of the Top 10 ranges I can see why most of them are there.  All but one of the top seven are essentially expansions of current ranges. 

The exception being entry number 3 1920's/1930's Gangsters.   I suspect people are going to want a lot of varied poses to make the gangs interesting, the same with the police and any other civilians.  Then to play a prohibition type scenario you will need a couple of gangs and the police. Typically this will be a skirmish type game and you will have at most a couple of gangs of 15-20 men and a similar number of Policemen, plus a few civilians.  So in all probability you will have 50 odd figures on the table.  Not only that you will probably only ever need a maximum of 60 figures.

So we have a range that requires a large amount of masters Probably a minimum of 20-30 poses. ( the same as the Carthaginian or Early Imperial Roman ranges).

Most gamers interested will probably only want a maximum of 60 figures to game the period, plus a few will be bought as partisans/civilians for other periods. compared to the Carthaginian  or Roman ranges where most gamer will want at least 300 and more likely 500+ figures for their army

Is this range really a viable range for us to ask Pendraken to produce?  Are those requesting it willing to pay a higher price per figure to make this range viable?  Obviously it is up to Pendraken to work out what is commercially viable, but I think we have to  take some responsibility when asking for stuff to consider how many we would buy and what the likely interest is to be.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fsn

Kickstarter.

There's a few naturally skirmish games - gangsters, superheroes, wild west, spy* (notice how they're also film genres) - that would require the same. I would quite happily contribute a few of my hard earned groats to development costs, and would pay a bit more for "Pendraken Premier" products - just as personality figures cost more than yer bog standard ones. Then there's the individualised figures in the Warband range. Doesn't take much to be able to differentiate figures. (Proper length of bow being one such determinant.) Guy in suit with Fedora firing shotgun from hip. Guy in suit with Fedora firing BAR from hip. Guy in suit firing Chicago Piano from hip. Dame in cloche with pistol. Dame in cloche with knife. Dame not in cloche firing two Choppers*** 

I won't be buying from ranges 1, 2, 7, 8, 9 and 10, 'cos they don't interest me. I would probably shell out for some gangsters 'cos they're pretty and I'm basically weak with very little impulse control.

It's a maths problem isn't it? Retail price = (cost of development + (expected sales  x cost of production) + markup)/expected sales**

In this case the cost of development would be 30 times a standard infatry pack (assuming 30 different gansters), cost of production would (I expect) be very little different from a standard pack, assume markup expectation the same and expected sales would be lower. A kickstarter would lower that risky cost of development.

*Also neolithic hunting party, deepest Africa ... struggling now
** I'm assuming an additive markup and not a multiplicative
*** Really annoyed because she'd lost her cloche

Orcs

Quote from: fsn on 21 August 2018, 08:00:21 AM
Dame in cloche with pistol. Dame in cloche with knife.

I know you have "exotic" tastes when it comes to women and their clothing, but why is she wearing one of those plastic things you grow your vegetables under? 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Its Nobby, explains it all !!
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021