6mm and 10mm represented in latest Wargames Illustrated

Started by Norm, 19 June 2018, 02:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/

Well worth a read and a thank you or ten

I've just found out that it will let me comment anonymously which is handy as I don't have any of the accounts most of the blogs want you to use
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Subedai

Quote from: Leman on 21 June 2018, 07:55:57 AM
I too now have a good look through in Smith's and only rarely actually buy. I have bought the latest (June) WI as it has the Italian Wars amendments for Lion Rampant

I'm the same, I will look at the magazine in WHS but very rarely buy any of them. My problem is that in at least one of them, I see the same names and the same companies featured every month plus recently there has been an upsurge in rule writers being interviewed about the rationale behind their latest offering. It almost reminds me of a chat show where 'celebrities' make an appearance just to plug their newest endeavour. This could be just me because I have no interest in any rules that mean I will have to rebase my chaps, do not cater for 6 or 10mm and cost as much as a small 10mm army!
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Ben Waterhouse

21 June 2018, 10:16:36 AM #17 Last Edit: 21 June 2018, 10:23:07 AM by Ben Waterhouse
Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 20 June 2018, 10:22:30 PM
I've pretty much given up on the "dead tree press" of the hobby.

1. My occasional glances at the covers leave me feeling they've gone down the "White dwarf: House magazine" rabbithole.
2. Slavish dedication to "Horribly deformed hulking great oaf" size figures.
3. The hobby is more diverse now (see other threads here) and the Interwebs are simply a more interactive and agile place for my gaming fix.

I might still be subscribing if points 1 and 2 weren't so glaring.

1 - Yes
2 - Yes
3 - And, err, yes...

And, Norm, mea culpa; will try to do better...
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Norm

Thanks all, sorry for the soap-boxish rant about blogs!

I have activated the blog link in my profile (I thought I had already done this).

My daughter treats me each year to a magazine subscription, but I have asked her not to re-new this year. I would like to sub to one, but will step back while I make that choice. I wonder how many people these days have their first introduction to wargames by a chance contact with the magazine on Smiths' shelves?

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Norm on 21 June 2018, 10:49:12 AM
Thanks all, sorry for the soap-boxish rant about blogs!

I have activated the blog link in my profile (I thought I had already done this).

My daughter treats me each year to a magazine subscription, but I have asked her not to re-new this year. I would like to sub to one, but will step back while I make that choice. I wonder how many people these days have their first introduction to wargames by a chance contact with the magazine on Smiths' shelves?

Are Smiths still in business?

Norm

Yes, the two WH Smiths nearest to me have each absorbed the local Post Office into their premises, so I guess that helps ensure viability. The third shop (quite a big store) in the next closest town, closed last year.

Leman

Smiths in both Southport and Liverpool also acts as the post office, and both stock all the wargames and history magazines. I regularly peruse, and, as this week, occasionally buy. Has anyone said what the forthcoming 10mm and 6mm articles are about?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!