visit to Phalanx 2018

Started by Norm, 16 June 2018, 06:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Thanks for posting, Norm. I always enjoy your show reports and pics.
Sleep with clean hands ...

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Excellent report Norm! Thanks for that.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I wuz der, now broke, good show, but the B&B was a tad crowded.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Nice one, Norm.  :)

Cheers - Phil

fred.

Good write up Norm.

I too was there, for an hour or two. The lighting is weird, its really noticeable as you go in, then you adjust to it. I looked at my phone after I'd been in the main hall for a while, and the phone screen looked weird, very blue, as my eyes had clearly adjusted to the sodium lights. Some other sports halls in the area have replaced their sodium lights, hopefully Sutton Lesiure Centre will too.

The 54mm Zulu war game was very impressive. Big table, lots and lots of big figures.

There were a lot of traders with MDF terrain.

Didn't buy a lot, got some MDF inserts for Really usefully boxes, to store painted figures in, to try to give a good density within the box. As using box files I seem to have lots of wasted vertical space. Picked up a pre-order of LoA and ECW cavalry from Leon.

I was looking for 28mm Wild West or 15mm desert stuff as impulse buys and didn't really see anything much.

Best buy was a 6mm space port, across three 15" square tiles, for £15 in total. I'm fairly sure I saw this on the Bring and Buy last year and passed on it.

And managed to miss Leman again!!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leman

Well I made it to the show around 11.30 and stayed until 1.30. I wore my Leman lanyard again but to no avail. At least Dave recognised me, but then he has had to put up with me hovering around the Pendraken stand since the mid-90s. Picked up some very competitively priced mdf stands for my 1914 project from him. Unlike Norm I did go with a list as I need to budget quite carefully these days, and I have four projects bubbling away at the moment: 1914 (15mm), GWSH II (6mm), the FPW in various games (10mm) and Saga: Age of Invasions (28mm). As a result I bought some 1914 markers and various tufts from Great Escape Games, the previously mentioned bases, some 6mm WWI Russians from Baccus, some very well-priced and exquisite looking trees from Lancashire Games and a box of Gripping Beast Late Romans for Saga. I was on the lookout for an mdf Limes watchtower but couldn't find one. However, ordered one from 4Ground when I got home and was delighted to find it was post-free.

I was disappointed not to be able to put on the FPW participation game but the circumstances were unavoidable. At least it is packed and ready for another club outing. Fortunately the club had 1066 to take its place. I was also disappointed with the catering which ran out of hot water for hot drinks. I was really looking forward to a coffee and a natter with some friends after my purchases. I also agree with Norm about the lighting situation so, as it was a flying visit (I'm usually there for about 8 hours) I didn't bother with the camera.

Hopefully next year I won't have the same issues to deal with and will be able to run a game as usual with my friend Nev.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Norm

Thanks all, re the lighting, a couple of years ago, I carefully selected some Vallejo paints from Pendraken, but when I got outside in 'real' light, two of the colours I had picked were not the shade or hue or whatever one might call it, that I 'thought' I had chosen. Leon kindly allowed me to change them to right shades.

Techno

Artificial light makes a mockery of what 'you' see in 'proper sunlight'

Cheers - Phil

lowlylowlycook

But how many games are played under conditions of  'proper sunlight'?

Leman

Very few, but apart from Phalanx I don't know of any others that are played under orange sodium lighting.

jimduncanuk

Border Reiver in Gateshead has some fairly yellow lighting.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Leman

This is the very reason I don't like matt varnish on  figures. It just makes them look dull in any artificial light.