How bizarre.

Started by Techno, 15 June 2018, 06:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Well....

Never had this happen before. :o

That nice Mr Leon had to send me back one of the Chinese in Winter kit (for the Korean war range) because one leg on the figure had flattened in the mould.
It was either that the putty hadn't cured.....That doesn't seem likely. It would have had AGES to set....Or I couldn't have mixed the putty properly, so it never had an actual chance to set.
Seeing as I mix putty for ages before using it, I can't understand this.

I've seen something similar happen, just the once.

When I worked at the Evil Empire, a model made by Nick Bibby 'oozed' in the mould.....But that one was made out of Fimo and presumably han't been cooked for long enough.

I'll be scratching my head about this, for ages.

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

Hmmm, not good and hard to understand why this has happened. Sometimes at work we get moulds that don't cure, or inhibit, for no obvious reason at all. Bloody annoying when that happens!

fsn

Oooh! Nasty.

You wouldn't make up enough putty for just one leg would you? Wouldn't the whole thing have flattened?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

The way I tend to work, Nobby, is to work from the feet upwards......(I haven't got a chance of remembering what I do with each individual model, but I'd be very surprised if both legs weren't completely done at the same time.)

The fact that it was just one 'shin' that went 'waffy' puzzles me enormously.
Whether there was a tiny bit of the 'blue' that stayed uncured (unmixed?) on that shin.....At the mo' that's the only thing I can think of.

There was one occasion where I had a 'model' 'explode' when it was pressed....But I know the answer to that one.
I'd made a 'flat' for the tourist industry....I got it back with the request to make it a bit thicker.
I simply stuck it to a slab of pre-made 2mm Miliput and sawed and neatened round the original 'model'

Apparently, I overdid the super glue...and it boiled when it went in the press, and basically blew apart the two sections.

Cheers - Phil

d_Guy

Quote from: Techno on 15 June 2018, 08:08:33 AM
The fact that it was just one 'shin' that went 'waffy' puzzles me enormously.
Whether there was a tiny bit of the 'blue' that stayed uncured (unmixed?) on that shin.....At the mo' that's the only thing I can think of.
Cheers - Phil

I think you have a reasonable working hypothesis and one which can be tested experimentally should you and Leon wish to take the time.
Of course, it could be a supernatural occurance. Prehapes you scamped the binding spell?
Sleep with clean hands ...

Techno

I might try that, Bill.

Mind you....by the time I've got the next batch ready to go up to Pendraken Towers, I'll probably have forgotten all about this !! ;D

Cheers - Phil