Painting Competition 2018 - Rules and Info!

Started by Leon, 11 June 2018, 09:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

It's back!  After a year off, the 2018 Pendraken Painting Competition opens to entries on July 1st and will run all the way through until the end of the month.  Our previous competitions have been a fantastic showcase for what can be done in this scale and we're looking forward to seeing the entries this year.

As mentioned, the competition will run throughout July, giving everyone ample time to get your entries posted but make sure you've got it done by midnight on July 31st.

We've made some changes to the category rules this year, allowing a larger number of figures in the foot and mounted categories now.  This means that you can line up a full unit of several bases and enter them together.

Categories:

Foot - Pre-20th C. - Max: 40 figures, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray.
Foot - 20th C. - Max: 40 figures, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray.
Mounted - Max: 20 figures, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray.
Vehicle - Min: 1 / Max: 3 vehicles on or off bases.
Fantasy & Sci-Fi - Max: 40 figures, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray.
Open - Single Base - Anything which doesn't fit into the other categories, with a max base size of 100x100mm.  This could be a command base, a single figure, artillery base, etc.
Open - Army - Anything which is larger than the maximums in the other categories, so multiple units or a whole army.

If you're unsure which category to put your entry in, let us know what it is, and we'll point you in the right direction!

Rules  - Please Read!

- Firstly, all figures must be Pendraken.  Conversions are allowed, but only on our figures.

1. You must be a Forum member to enter, but other than that, everyone is welcome!

2. You may enter as many times as you like but each entry is only allowed 2 images (except for the 'Army!' category, see below).  We do not allow montage images anymore, just to keep a level playing field.  You can however edit your two images into a single file for the sake of uploading/hosting them.  If you have any difficulty posting pics, they can be emailed to Pendraken and we'll put them up for you.

3. The 'Open - Army!' category may have 5 photo's, as it's difficult to cover a whole army with just a single photo!

4. All entries must be your own work, and have not been entered into any online competitions before.

5. Entries should have been completed in the time since the last competition (February 2016), so we hope you've all been busy!

6. You can post WIP (work-in-progress) photos if you wish, but please create a new thread for these.  You can also post extra photos of your work elsewhere on the Forum.  These will not count towards your competition entry.

7. This year, the winners will be decided by the Forum members!  Once the closing deadline has passed, we'll put up a poll thread for each category where our members can vote on who they want to win.  The polls will close 7 days later and the winners will be announced.

8. Competition threads will be created on the opening date, purely for your entries.

9. Pendraken may use your pics in future promo/marketing, catalogue covers or web pics.  Entering gives your permission for your pics to be used.

And now the good bit, the prizes!  We don't have any third-party prizes this time around, so we've bumped up the prize pots instead!  The winners and runners-up in each category will now receive the following:

- The Winner of each category will receive £40 worth of Pendraken/Minibits credit!
- The Runner-Up of each category will receive £20 worth of Pendraken/Minibits credit!

So, key points:

Competition opens - July 1st!
Closing deadline - Midnight, July 31st!

There's still time to order any extra figures you need, so get your orders in to us asap to make sure they arrive in good time!

And that should be it, if there's any questions, let us know!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

Great to see the comp back in all its glory and with some rather nice prizes :). This will (hopefully) get me to pull my finger out and get painting :D

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Great! I got some acw and wwII  stuff lying around, waiting to be painted!

fred.

Glad to see the return of the painting comp, and also to see a slight change in format. The prizes are nice too!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Looks great. Thanks for doing this again.
Might get my painting hat on.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald: 2024 - Silver Medal (Cavalry)
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

Looking forward to taking part in this

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

rct75001

This'll be my first time in the competition as I embark on a lifetime worth of painting 10mm figs :)

Richard
And she said "You haven't bought more of those little men have you?"

https://rctlittlesoldiers.blogspot.com.au

Terry37

Great!!! Let me see what I can do. Not a lot of time, but I'll give it my best shot.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

paulr

Terry37, I draw your attention to rule 5
QuoteEntries should have been completed in the time since the last competition (February 2016), so we hope you've all been busy![

I'm sure you've a few suitable things you've painted in the last couple of years ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

DFlynSqrl

Terry37

Sadly no Paul, I've been working on my 15 MM HOTT Muscovite army, but I'll switch gears and start something which I can only hope to finish in time.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Terry37

OK, I spent last night going through all of my possible projects for a model to enter in this years event and have made a decision. It will be a conversion, but not as extensive as others I've done and shared. But ti will be fun as will the rest of the army I will do to go along with it. Going to start the fun shortly! it may also end up being my army for this years GBnUIT as well.

Terry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

My order is in, as is traditional, for me, only figures painted during the competition will be entered! ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner