the horror that is cleaning and prepping!

Started by petercooman, 06 June 2018, 01:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Subedai

Quote from: d_Guy on 08 June 2018, 12:34:35 AM
I believe you (or maybe Westie or Ithoriel) first mention Soar Patrol to me - excellent walking music - drives you right along.
Also:
I am a man who walks alone
And when I'm walking a dark road
At night or strolling through the park

When the light begins to change
I sometimes feel a little strange
A little anxious when it's dark.

Whoops! Completely forgot Maiden.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Orcs

I take them to work on nights and do them when we have a quiet spell.

Being paid to do them helps with the drudgery enormously :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

howayman

Sorry was that Duck men or Maiden you take to work?

I sit quietly in the corner cleaning and prepping, but inside i seethe.

paulr

To be honest I don't really mind the cleaning and prepping. The quality of Pendraken casting means for the vast majority of figures it is just tidying up the underside of the base which is easy and doesn't have to be too precise.

A quick check for the very occasional flash or mold line and you are onto the next figure :!!

Perhaps it is because I'm looking forward to painting :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

With 6 artillery packs from perry done, and all pendraken bases filed down, future is much brighter  ;D

Quote from: paulr on 09 June 2018, 07:39:37 PM

Perhaps it is because I'm looking forward to painting :-

I don't look forward to painting them actually. Inbetween family and working out, painting is struggling to get in my schedule!

fred.

10 June 2018, 10:07:33 AM #36 Last Edit: 10 June 2018, 10:15:04 AM by fred.
I'm with Paul on this. Prepping Pendraken figures is generally very straight forward,  the main task is filing the bases flat. Then the occasional clean up of a small bit of flash or feed lines. Compared to some manufacturers this is very minimal effort.

GW Warmaster ones take a lot of work, they have loads of feed worms going into the strips, which need cleaning off, also the strips often seem to be very pointy and sharp, which makes filing the bottoms flat quite painful. But these are very detailed figures, with crisp casting, so the amount of clean-up doesn't always mean poor quality figures.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

OldenBUA

My tuppence/ramble.

I've just finished cleaning and prepping another batch, about 60 figures. Added to the batches that I did earlier, there's enough to keep me painting for quite some time. This is not helped by the fact that my painting has come to a standstill in the last year (or more).

So why add yet more figures? Well, there are a couple of reasons. First, I think that when I sit down to paint, but can't get myself to actually paint, doing some of this work instead (or painting terrain) gives me the feeling that I have actually done something. Secondly, the warm weather we've had here had led to a surplus of popsicle sticks. Always seems a shame to let these lie empty. But thirdly, and most importantly, I bought a set of magnifying glasses. Something like an optivisor I guess, but smaller and without the headband. Even with the smallest magnification (1.5x) those 10mm figures look like 15mm! Which means I can actually see what I'm painting again! So in the last few weeks I've painted more than in the past year. So I now have a good hope that I can actually make some progress and reduce the pile of stuff that is ready for painting.

Cheers,

Alex
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

petercooman

Quote from: OldenBUA on 10 June 2018, 12:13:06 PM
So in the last few weeks I've painted more than in the past year. So I now have a good hope that I can actually make some progress and reduce the pile of stuff that is ready for painting.

Cheers,

Alex

Good show! Hope you can keep the mojo flowing!

After a long streak of irregular painting sessions, the last year and a half has felt really good for me (with my personal painting challenges). it feels great to get stuff game-ready!

paulr

Quote from: OldenBUA on 10 June 2018, 12:13:06 PM
My tuppence/ramble.
So in the last few weeks I've painted more than in the past year. So I now have a good hope that I can actually make some progress and reduce the pile of stuff that is ready for painting.

Cheers,

Alex

Great news, crack on :-bd =D> :-bd
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Terry37

I usually listen to movie soundtracks as I enjoy them if they are from movies I like, or true old cowboy music not this current country junk! But the music does not seem to prevent my cutting my thumb or filing my fingers!!!!!  :(

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Techno

Quote from: Terry37 on 10 June 2018, 08:34:19 PM

does not seem to prevent my cutting my thumb or filing my fingers!!!!!  :(
Terry

I'm not the only one, then ! ;)

Cheers - Phil