BBB Beaumont in 10mm

Started by Leman, 27 June 2018, 04:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

This was an unusual scenario in the run of this campaign, in that as the French I had to get so many units off across the Meuse and off the board. All Mike had to do was stop me (given his initial dice rolling, not as straightforward as it sounds!). As I hoped to make something of a game of it I elected to get most of my troops on the go, but leave a few key units behind to delay the Prussian onslaught. As the Prussians approach Beaumont, the French gear up to leave - but hold on, this is a passive army and there are numerous slopes to deal with and a fair bit of artillery to shift - slow didn't come into it.

12th Corps hanging around near Mouzon, showing the two bridges available to the French.

An overall view of the battlefield showing an awful lot of surprised and disrupted French troops.

Bavarians attempting to delay or cut off 7th Corps. This particular brigade was quite successful, but by and large the Bavarians had a pretty lacklustre battle.

The brave lads from 7th Corps took it upon themselves to try and stem the flow of Bavarians, largely successfully, but this particular French unit, and others later, ended up in a German sandwich for their trouble. It was this dogged rearguard that cost the French valuable units in the long run.

The end of the battle (wacky race) is shown in the next few photos. In effect the French 5th Corps really struggled to move troops along whilst being hammered in rear by massed Prussian artillery. Furthermore the Prussians were then able to make spectacular progress following the French as Mike's dice luck finally turned. With only two units able to cross the bridge per move the French were caught in the rear and enough were destroyed that the Prussians had fulfilled their victory conditions by the end of move 6. To the east the remnants of 7th Corps streamed away in column for the second bridge, but only to meet their destiny at Sedan in our next battle.

The bases at the back represent the number of units able to escape. Not enough are following on from the east for the French even to achieve a draw.

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leman

Have you noticed that when you buy river packs there are never enough curves!  >:(
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Beautiful looking game.
When we visited Beaumont, one thing is very noticeable, the hill across the river, outside of town is an almost perfect cone, you come out the forest and boom, there it is! Perfect observation platform.
Also Beaumont high street is tiny!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Nick the Lemming

Nice game, lovely looking table too.

Techno

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Nice game!

I made my rivers out of felt. Cut as much curves as i could!

d_Guy

Like the pics. Good looking game. As usual, your game board reminds me of a Henri Matisse painting (meant as a compliment)  :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

kipt

Playing this with my Sappy Nappy rules sometime next month if we can get everyone.

Subedai

Rather nice looking game that.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Chris Pringle

Thanks for a nice report on agood-looking game, Andy. Commiserations on getting caught! Fighting withdrawals are not easy ...

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/