Difference between 1809 and 1812 figure ranges.

Started by Last Hussar, 30 May 2018, 07:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

mollinary

I admit  this thread puzzles me a bit. The original poster asked for the differences between the 1809 and 1812 ranges (ie Pendraken figures). Since then, apart from the occasional thread derailing (OK, Guilty as charged) the posts have concentrated on the differences in French uniforms between 1809 and  1812,  not the differences in Pendraken figures in the respective ranges. For a start, given the difference in age between two, are they the same size?  Does anyone have comparison pictures between the two ranges?
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: mollinary on 02 July 2018, 07:14:12 PM
I admit  this thread puzzles me a bit. The original poster asked for the differences between the 1809 and 1812 ranges (ie Pendraken figures). Since then, apart from the occasional thread derailing (OK, Guilty as charged) the posts have concentrated on the differences in French uniforms between 1809 and  1812,  not the differences in Pendraken figures in the respective ranges. For a start, given the difference in age between two, are they the same size?  Does anyone have comparison pictures between the two ranges?

Careful now - you're trying to talk sense in a Pendraken forum thread!  ;)
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Last Hussar

I was more interested in what the 1809 figures could pass as

GNU PTerry

mollinary

Quote from: Last Hussar on 04 July 2018, 06:56:03 PM

And we are yet to find out!  ;D
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Quote from: Last Hussar on 30 May 2018, 07:31:40 PM
You see that title? I'll let you work out what the thread is about.

Seriously, what are the differences?

Having given this deep thought, I think this is where it all started to go wrong.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Zippee

Quote from: Last Hussar on 04 July 2018, 06:56:03 PM

In majority the French 1809 range can provide figures suitable for the 1806 campaign through the 1812 campaign and the entire Peninsular War. There are changes in style within that but on the whole that's true. Lancers don't appear until 1811, Carabiniers a Cheval change uniform in 1811 (both options are available as part if the 1809 range weirdly) the rest of the cavalry and artillery can push through to 1815 if you're not too particular. If you limit yourself to the greatcoated figures the infantry can also pass muster through to 1815 again if you're not too picky.

The Austrian 1809 range is more complex. The cavalry and artillery are good for 1798 through 1814 on the whole, the German infantry are good for 1798 through 1809 and the Hungarian, Landwehr and Jager are good for 1809 through 1814. Again minor changes but they're fine.

The Bavarian 1809 range is goof for 1806 through 1815 essentially.

All ranges are missing items from later/earlier periods and as always with these things it all depends on how fussy you are personally.

My recommendation would be to build a collection around an 1809/Peninsular formation and then happily use them for games set in other sub-periods.

paulr

Quote from: Zippee on 05 July 2018, 08:05:11 AM
My recommendation would be to build a collection around an 1809/Peninsular formation and then happily use them for games set in other sub-periods.

A very sensible approach :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

John Cook

Quote from: paulr on 05 July 2018, 10:02:23 AM
A very sensible approach :)

Except that there is no Peninsular range to oppose the French.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

But there are KGL and Hannoverians with stovepipe shakos.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

I'm not so worried about the Peninsula. I'm wondering about a Russian army as the optional 3rd set of figures.

GNU PTerry

John Cook

Quote from: mad lemmey on 05 July 2018, 11:15:49 PM
But there are KGL and Hannoverians with stovepipe shakos.

Indeed, but no British Peninsular cavalry. 

John Cook

Quote from: Last Hussar on 05 July 2018, 11:25:18 PM
I'm not so worried about the Peninsula. I'm wondering about a Russian army as the optional 3rd set of figures.

Ask Leon if they are compatible with the newer 1809 figures.  He's always helpful.