15mm BEF

Started by Leman, 16 May 2018, 11:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

You are right there Paul. L Battery did take a bit of a clobbering at Nery, but also put up one heck of a fight. It is also the sort of limited action that suits the 1914 rules.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

20 June 2018, 09:09:07 AM #46 Last Edit: 20 June 2018, 09:21:13 AM by FierceKitty
Quote from: fsn on 19 June 2018, 06:44:35 PM
1916: You have a largely conscript army, artillery short of shells, no tanks, and an air force largely ineffective at ground attack, no tactical radio.

You face a line of entrenchments from coast to Switzerland, so no flanks.

What do you do?

This subject comes up frequently. I was pulling a few legs!

Still, as Monty responded to this question, Cambrai.

Come to think of it, I must throw in an interesting personal experience. I once showed my first wife (less martially-minded than the current one) a 1:3000 model of Dreadnaught, and asked her if she could spot a design flaw. She looked for about thirty seconds, then remarked "The lookout's behind the funnel; he'll be blinded by the smoke, if not roasted". Before the RN had gone to the unimaginable expense of building a capital ship like that, they might have done well to show a few design specs to their wives for second opinions. A bit like Moliere's cook....

In other words,  I think the hindsight charge is made too readily. If you're in charge of millions of lives, you dam' well cultivate foresight and imagination, or resign and make way for those who will.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

Duke Speedy of Leighton

We usually do...  :P
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Quote from: mad lemmey on 20 June 2018, 09:41:07 AM
We usually do...  :P

Your rank protects you, sir.

For the moment.

Womble67

Quote from: Leman on 19 June 2018, 07:00:19 PM
But the real reason I came on this thread was to post some photos of my first pieces of artillery. These two 18pdrs represent a battery in the 1914 rules and are intended (as in actual fact) to fire over open sights.

Very nice indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Thanks folks, it's nice to know they will look fine in an actual game.

Talking of generals moving over in WWI, it is seldom remarked that 58 British general officers lost their lives on the battlefield. In the build up to the Somme, as one example, various assumptions were made at the planning level based on faulty information. It did look possible to break through the German lines before the troops were actually sent in. Only later did it become apparent that the artillery, for one reason or another, had not sufficiently cleared the way, e.g. there are still hundreds of thousands of unexploded shells on the Somme battlefield.

Leman

The final battalion for my initial 1914 scenario - the Highlanders. After a bit of book and internet research I decided to go for the front apron only look, leaving the rear of the kilt exposed. As I don't have the steadiest hands in the world I went for an impression of Gordon tartan, but left out the very thin yellow lines in the green and blue kilt. I also accidentally left out the red bobble on the Glengarry, but have rectified this since taking the photos. To illustrate, a front and rear shot of the command stand. Unfortunately I didn't have a piper model.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Looking good !!

Cheers - Phil

Womble67

Very nice indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

Leman

Last two shots before the basing of the whole force. Boxed this command base off in two days. Took a number of shots but I think these two are the best, the first because it shows up the red cap bands clearly, and the second because it is a relatively clear shot of the whole base.

Steve J

lowlylowlycook

I really love the command base.  Nice!