15mm BEF

Started by Leman, 16 May 2018, 11:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

16 May 2018, 11:46:56 AM Last Edit: 16 May 2018, 11:48:37 AM by Leman
I have had a Peter Pig BEF army for quite some time, but inspired by reading some good books on the opening of WWI, plus some successful experimentation with Vallejo green brown and green ochre, as well as being impressed with the new 1914 rules, I decided to put brush to metal. Unusually, but I think quite successfully, I based the figures and textured the bases before painting. Someone mentioned that they complete an army before painting the bases so that everything matches, and this seems like a very good idea to me (and helps prevent half finished armies - a crime of which I am guilty). Base sizes given are 25mm x 25mm for machine guns, 50mm x 25mm for cavalry and infantry, 50mm x 50mm for artillery.

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Malbork

Very nice.

What colour(s) did you use for the MG? Like the effect.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Very nice.
The HMG should have a green sleeve...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

It's not a Vickers. Some of the units sent out in August 1914 still had the older style maxim with the brass cooler. Colours for the machine gun are:

Stand - Vallejo gunmetal
Ammo belt - Vallejo beige
Water can - mix of Vallejo military green and olive green
Hose - Vallejo black grey
Cooling sleeve - GW Gehenna's gold then topped with Vallejo gold

Machine gun based on the painting in Osprey Campaign Mons 1914 showing Pvt. Sidney Godley VC holding off the Germans at the Nimy bridge.

lowlylowlycook

Very cool looking guys.

toxicpixie

Superb work!

They look storming.

Interesting on the MMG (or is it just "MG or HMG at this point?!), didn't know they still had Maxims in service in 1914!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Redstef

"From each according to ability, to each according to need" Karl Marx.............I really need those figures

2015 Painting Competition - People's Choice!
2016 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 4 x Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner, 1 x Runner-Up!

Techno

Great work, Andy !

Cheers - Phil

Leman

Thanks chaps; I'm really rather pleased with the way they have turned out so far. Next I'll do another battalion, but with some head swaps for variety, then on to some cavalry, as I plan to have a go at Nery using the 1914 rules.

fred.

They have come out well.  But then they are a very good subject matter!

I'm waiting for delivery of 1914 rules - I was hoping to be able to use my 30x30mm based troops.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Terry37

Very impressive work! I like Peter Pig figures and use them a lot in my Weird World War armies because I can usually find everything I need form them. They are also well detailed and paint up nicely. Hope to see more in this effort!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Leman

Quote from: fred. on 16 May 2018, 05:23:43 PM
They have come out well.  But then they are a very good subject matter!

I'm waiting for delivery of 1914 rules - I was hoping to be able to use my 30x30mm based troops.
Having read the rules I can see no reason why 30x30 wouldn't work. There is some explanation in the rules about so many this to that in measurement, but it simply boils down to one mm = one metre, so that it looks right with 12mm figures, so I guess 10mm on 30mm frontage would be fine, or 15mm on a square 30mm base. I just went with their suggestion because I was starting from scratch, and to be honest, their 12mm figures are at the top end of 12mm. I also have my 8" squares cloth, so even on bigger bases I can still use them for Square Bashing.

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

Nery is an interesting action, we did it a while ago with ITLSU
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

They look rather nice sculpts.