TDFG - re-acquainting with an old friend

Started by Leman, 18 February 2018, 01:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subedai

Great read. Ta for shariing. I've finally bitten the bullet and intend to but BBB and TDFG at Cavalier this weekend
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

That's interesting to hear, Sub. You may find something in TDFG that I have missed or misinterpreted. If you would like a copy of the WI additions let me know, it's only 3 pages.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leman

AAR of the Battle of the Three Bridges

The scenario forces have already been described as small, matching avant-garde caught out on either side of a small river when early morning fog lifts. The Prussians however were much further along the road than the French after a random deployment roll of the dice. 15 turns (almost 4 hours) were allowed for this small action.

The Prussians made use of their advantage by detailing two battalions to occupy the village to control bridge one. The other two line units were detailed to seize the footbridge (2), whilst the light cavalry and jaegers were rushed to gain control of the third and most distant bridge. 1 and 3 were the most important to control. The cuirassiers were placed in reserve behind a small hill which dominated most of the battlefield, whilst the 4pdr battery was rushed to the top of the hill and deployed (with a range of 54" this was a remarkably good position).

The somewhat tardy French did at least have the protection of a large wood as they came onto the NE flank of the battlefield. Two line and the chasseurs were detailed to take and hold the village. The other two line were given the job of taking the footbridge, whilst the cavalry were to sweep around the Prussian left flank, from the NW of the battlefield, and take the third bridge. The artillery's job was to take out the Prussian battery.

From the beginning things went wrong for the French. As it reached the point to unlimber, just past the edge of the wood the French gun was knocked out by Prussian shells. Lesson learned - unlimber French guns under cover then hand push before firing. Even if the gun is knocked out it can still return fire as artillery fire is simultaneous at the start of each turn.

The French initially were able to make use of their superior chassepot range, although the Prussian artillery began to take a toll on the units heading for the footbridge. The initial Prussian positional advantage meant that they were able either to reach or cover all three bridges first. The French had to attack, which now put them in needlegun range, with no artillery support.

The French launched a two pronged attack on the village, the line units rushing to take on the Prussians who had loopholed the buildings, whilst the chasseurs provided some covering fire from the protection of the southern end of the wood. The Prussian general decided he had sufficient troops there to cope and directed his cuirassiers to go and support the hussars at the third bridge. By now the jaegers had crossed the river and occupied a small wood to its north on their left flank. The hussars stood watching the bridge from the south and the two battalions in the centre took and held the footbridge, bring their opposite numbers under harassing rifle and artillery fire.

By this stage one of the Prussian units in the village had been driven off, the second unit had taken its place in the buildings and the French line assaulted the village. The French cavalry prepared to attack the hussars, who fell back allowing the cuirassiers to take their place. The two French infantry units in the centre were now so battered that they failed morale and had to fall back. Nevertheless the French, after a hard fight occupied the village buildings on the southern side of the river, but it was all too late.

By move 10 the two Prussian line units in the centre were able to ignore the footbridge, one moved right to assist the troops in the village, the other moving left to assist the cavalry. The jaegers were also able to switch their attention to their left, flanking the French cavalry intent on capturing the bridge . A charge by the Chasseurs d'Afrique, across the shallow river, was met by a devastating counter-charge from the cuirassiers, such that the French cuirassiers were unable to assist, their path being blocked by a walled farm. They flowed to the left of this, only to be met by devastating flanking fire from one of the Prussian line units coming to the cavalry's assistance. Both the CDA and the French cuirassiers took massive casualties and fled the field.

In  the  village the second Prussian centre unit had launched an assault against the chasseurs, who had occupied the outlying buildings to the western side the village. The Chasseurs were wiped out, causing a morale check on the French line closest to them. They failed and fled, leaving only one remaining unshaken French unit in the village, the artillery turning its attention that way. The major decided discretion was the better part of valour and made an ordered withdrawal back to his baseline.

Verdict: the French could probably have done much better, but the way the battle unfolded seemed very like many of the historical battle descriptions I have read of the FPW.

Leman

TDFG Yahoo Group

Only discovered this yesterday. Until my request to join has been accepted I can't access it fully, but there appear to be scenarios on there. What I was able to download was a 10 page document of FAQs, amendments and clarifications and some more optional rules. this dates from 2006, so a good 14 years after the rules were originally published. I also noticed on the Caliver site that the rules are still available.

Incidentally, if searching for the Yahoo group make sure you type in they died for glory rather than TDFG, as this will take you to some very odd sounding groups.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Leman

Another cock up. In search of those flickr instructions I was given, which once again, owing to thye number of steps involved, I have forgotten.

Leman

10 March 2018, 11:31:28 AM #23 Last Edit: 10 March 2018, 11:46:29 AM by Leman

Got it this time - it was the / in front of the last img I had omitted. Anyway the paraphernalia is as follows: ruler marked in 18mm inches, smoke marker (both home made), green and red first and second action markers (Warbases round corner bases painted on both sides), explosion to show a morale test needs to be taken Galeforce 9), out of command marker (Warbases out of leadership), prone markers (Red Eagle based on 15x20 bases),  casualties on 15mm circular bases (both Pendraken), officers to mark rallying troops on 15mm bases (Pendraken), artillery ammo markers - 15mm Pendraken bases painted as shell, shot and canister which in the game sit on top of a Warbases numbered marker showing the amount of ammo left; currently showing the starter ammo for the Krupp guns.

Leman

Two shots of the upcoming game - A Vital Bridge - showing the overall field of battle and the Chasseurs a Cheval, patiently waiting until they are sacrificed to hold up the onrushing Prussian horde.

d_Guy

Enjoyed the report and the look of the upcoming scenario. As I said recently, I like your figures and your board set-ups, stylish. Good to see the pictures flowing again!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Leman

Thanks Guy. I think I have the measure of flickr now. It was remembering which bit of the codes to delete that initially threw me. The flickr site looks promising for the future (currently I have used <1% of 1TB) so let's hope this one stays free. My first Album is The FPW in 10mm, if anybody wants to view it. I am keeping things public under my own name, Andy Fuller.

Leman

I didn't realise that I had not completed this posting re the scenario for TDFG. Anyway, the idea was that the  French were trying to get a number of vital supply wagons away and then destroy the bridge before they could be captured by the pursuing Prussians. Here we see the Prussians waiting to start their attack and pursuit:

The second photo shows the wagons ready to go, with the start of the bridge just visible at the bottom. Off the top arte the rest of the French troops waiting to hold up the Prussians.

The game was played twice against two different opponents, who both took the French. The first managed to get everyone who survived and all the wagons across the bridge before successfully blowing it. The second nearly succeeded, but miscalculated his losses, leaving a battalion of chasseurs behind to delay the Prussians whilst the bridge was blown, only to discover that their subsequent capture took him over the threshold of acceptable losses.

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!