This madness. NO! THIS! IS! PENDRAKEN!

Started by Last Hussar, 08 May 2018, 08:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

Work getting to me I think.  Took a pause today, and the brain started to calculate the multiples that match basing to pack sizes.

Which is why I now have it in my head to do 40 bases of pike (600 figures) and 80 of shot (880 figures). Which coincidentally fits nicely into two RUB hobby trays.

Help.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

And yes I know 880 doesn't divide by 30. I'll need some skirmish/commanded shot/forlorn hope, so that's the other 20.

GNU PTerry

paulr

What about the Horse and Artillery  ;)

How did you get to see my last Pendraken order ;) ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Quote from: Last Hussar on 08 May 2018, 08:06:40 PM
And yes I know 880 doesn't divide by 30. I'll need some skirmish/commanded shot/forlorn hope, so that's the other 20.

880 is 29 packs (870) plus an extra 18 figures at  20p.  Extra figures cost you £3.60.

Just be thankful that Leon does not insist on selling complete packs.

Look on the bright side after you have bought Nearly 50 packs of foot you will have the following positive outcomes:-

1) Saves approx. £30 compared to another nameless manufacturer of 10mm,
2) You can then plan your Artillery and Horse
3) You will have 1480 foot to paint
4) You will have no time for self abuse apart from digging fingers with scalpel when cleaning up the figures
5) When you have painted up the Foot, Horse and Guns.  Sunjester and I can help you play with them.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leon

Quote from: Orcs on 08 May 2018, 08:43:14 PM
880 is 29 packs (870) plus an extra 18 figures at  20p.  Extra figures cost you £3.60.

Just be thankful that Leon does not insist on selling complete packs.

Look on the bright side after you have bought Nearly 50 packs of foot you will have the following positive outcomes:-

1) Saves approx. £30 compared to another nameless manufacturer of 10mm,
2) You can then plan your Artillery and Horse
3) You will have 1480 foot to paint
4) You will have no time for self abuse apart from digging fingers with scalpel when cleaning up the figures
5) When you have painted up the Foot, Horse and Guns.  Sunjester and I can help you play with them.

There's a lot of solid points here...  :D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Last Hussar

Ah, off mathematics. 870 plus 18 is 880. Also ignoring the fact I implied 30 packs "20 figures for skirmish".  This is the man that I wondered how he was doing so well at Lion Rampant, then spotting he was rolling 16 not 12 dice...

Unfortunately for Leon I already have 17 bases of shot and 14 of pike, plus a package which should contain 450 musket (40 bases). I have virtually all, if not all, the artillery, and at least 60% plus of Horse.

GNU PTerry

Orcs

Quote from: Last Hussar on 08 May 2018, 11:42:42 PM
Ah, off mathematics. 870 plus 18 is 880.

Yes I misread 880 for 888, a simple mistake when you have only had 6 hours sleep in last 37 hours
[/quote]

This is the man that I wondered how he was doing so well at Lion Rampant, then spotting he was rolling 16 not 12 dice....

It did improve my dice rolling a bit  ;D

Unfortunately for Leon I already have 17 bases of shot and 14 of pike, plus a package which should contain 450 musket (40 bases). I have virtually all, if not all, the artillery, and at least 60% plus of Horse.

But it will not be enough, you will always be a few stands short when you plan a refight

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

sunjester

Just make up your mind and get painting! I'm booking a big ECW game in for a club Games day later in the year ;) :d

Orcs

Quote from: sunjester on 09 May 2018, 07:47:25 AM
Just make up your mind and get painting! I'm booking a big ECW game in for a club Games day later in the year ;) :d

I would offer to paint the opposition, but I suppose you want to game before 2024

Last Hussar

Quote from: sunjester on 09 May 2018, 07:47:25 AM

Going to dig out my airbrush.

If I did looser formations it wouldn't be as much of a problem - ⅔ the figures. Peter pig say put 4 15mm men or 3 horse on a stand. I do 15 pike, 11 shot or 6 horse, but isn't that the point of 10mm?  When I get back to ACW its going to feel so much easier, I do 7-8 on the same size stand!

I'm not so foolish to try and do the all in one lump. I'm going to get two usable armies together, then expand to give more OOB flexibility, with a the bulk of those in Red waiting till last, as they will be the NMA; up to that I can do generic units to be used on either side.

This idle thinking came about after starting to put together some generic flags in 'Paint'. Reading we have flags but no jacket colour, or jackets but no known standard, or sometimes even name, I changed my thoughts on basing.  I was going to do 1 stand 12 + 3 command, with a paired stand of 16. I've now decided to do all at 12+3 so all pike will have standards. This is what kicked off the maths in my head.  4 pike plus 1 command pack will make 10 stands.  This number will also mean I can do warlords Pike & Shotte games using 12cm frontages, and maybe even invest in Forking Parliament, a rule set named I'm assuming after what an Irish Royalist would say, where I can do 3 stand 90mm units (hence my question the other day)

GNU PTerry