Photographing 10mm?

Started by sunjester, 02 May 2018, 12:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

You can put some greaseproof paper over the flash. This diffuses the light so it's not so harsh. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

I'm assuming the camera in question can't be fitted with a ring flash ?

That gets rid of any shadows...But it does tend to 'flatten' the shot.

I've got one of those for the 'SLR'....But I can never be bothered to use it.

Cheers - Phil

Norm

The size of flash is important. If it is an 'in camera' flash or a small cube thing (like mine), then you will get light close up on the subject, but MASSIVE fall off of light beyond the immediate subject. The flash if not variably powered can blow out the subject and can look harsh, but if photographing against light (i.e. a window is behind the subject) then fill in flash will probably be essential.

If you don't understand about white balance, then hunt down a good explanantion on Google and gain that knowledge, it is an essential ingredient as to how colours look in your picture - it is too involved to give it a cursory mention here, though if you are using flash, make sure that your white balance setting for flash is used and if using normal room lighting, use the 'light bulb' symbol. My most commonly used WB setting for green game cloths is 'shade' (no flash) in daylight.

read an online explanation about light metering to gain an understanding how a scene can report back different light values that can task many a metering system - though modern stuff is getting much better at doing all of this in the auto settings.

Finally - digital photography is not flattering to close up images of small scales, a sad truth , but through trial and error you will find a sweet spot.