Photographing 10mm?

Started by sunjester, 02 May 2018, 12:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunjester

This is sort of related to painting as it's a question about photographing the finished figures.

I'm just using a crap point and shoot camera and have not knowledge (or skill) about photography. My pictures, mainly with a flash, seemed somehow "wrong", slightly darker and there was certainly something off about the colours compared with the real thing, especially greens. I tried manipulating the images in various ways and found (mainly by trial and error) that if I knocked the blue tone down by 10% or so, the greens now looked better and the whole image seemed a bit brighter.

I'm happier with the results now, but it's a bit of a pain to manipulate each picture separately. Can any more knowledgeable soul suggest why this should be and what I could do to correct the camera?

Thanks

jimduncanuk

Turn off the flash

Use as much !ight as possible, indirect if possible.

Daylight is good.

A tripod will help.

Using a 2 second timer helps avoid camera shake.
My Ego forbids a signature.

toxicpixie

My photo's are still pretty carp, but a cheap collapsible light box can be had off Aliexpress for about a fiver shipped - has an LED strip at the top and a changeable white or black background and can give a much better "all round" light source effect" without the flash throwing everything off.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leon

Good lighting is the most important thing for me, I use a homemade light box with a pure white lamp when I'm taking the website/sculpts pics.  Most cameras these days will have some type of macro function on them which will help get a clearer shot.  After that it's keeping the camera steady using the tripod/delay tips the other guys have mentioned. 

I do still have to edit them in Photoshop though, usually just to bring the lighting up a tad and make the colours pop a bit.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Glorfindel

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to get this right (with an old Cannon A620)
and have finally managed to achieve something I am happy with.   I am not a
photographic expert by any means but have found the points below after lots
of trial and error.

The key points are bright light, no flash (both mentioned above), maximum
zoom out, use the 'macro' setting and a tripod if possible.

I have found this gives pretty good pictures of small scale figures (6mm &
10mm).   For example :

http://s761.photobucket.com/user/glorfindel-666/media/10mm%20Seven%20Years%20War/IMG_2683_zpsmmkzb4xk.jpg.html

http://s761.photobucket.com/user/glorfindel-666/media/10mm%20Seven%20Years%20War/IMG_2682_zps1awsku3c.jpg.html

Feel free to have a look at the resulting pics on my Photobucket a/c :

http://s761.photobucket.com/user/glorfindel-666/library/?sort=3&page=1

Cheers,

Phil

Leman

Do you keep your photos in a bowl, Toxic?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Have you got a white balance function?

My Olympus allows me to stick a piece of white paper in front of it and say "this is white". Then the camera remembers what white is and the colours come out quite well.

You can get a mini tripod for just a few quid, and I use the delay function - i.e. I take press the button and then a few seconds later it takes the photo. Avoids a bit of shake as you press down.

I also use a white box - I got it from Amazon for about £10 is a sale.

My photography is quite good  :D - my figures generallly aren't worth photographing.   :(
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Oh yes, mini-tripod! I have a cheap but very adjustable one, looks like something vaguely Gieger :D

Leman, my photo skills are a bit fishy ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fred.

Lots of good info above.

One extra tip, avoid a white background with point and shoot cameras. The white background will be what the light sensors pick up, and you will end up with some very underexposed photos, usually meaning some very dark minis against a bright white background. Its much easier to get a simple camera to get things right using a neutral toned background, or even a black one.

Second tip, pop a bit of white card in front of the figures, just out of shot, preferably at a slight angle. This will bounce a lot of light onto the front of the figures, which is the bit you are looking at.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

sunjester

Thanks for the help everyone. I do usually use a small tripod and the 2 second delay option. I don't always remember to set the macro option, so I should try that more often.

I am more often photographing figures in mid-game, or at least on a gaming cloth rather than on a stark white background, so light boxes and the like are not really appropriate.

I will try playing around with lighting and not relying on the flash, but sometimes, like in the hall the club meets at, the light is not brilliant and I do need to use a flash.

Any thoughts as to why my camera seems to be adding too much blue tone? Could that be caused by the flash?

Last Hussar

I'm wondering if at him piece of material to diffuse the flash would help.

SJs camera is one of those the size of a pack of cards.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

fred.

Macro option might help or not - I've never found it much help, but it will depend on the camera.

Flash is a problem at close range, most small cameras are optimised for taking pictures of people who are about 4-10' away. So the flash is setup for that distance. A diffuser on the flash would probably help, even just a bit of muslin or opaque plastic. The only problem is the camera is likely to be expecting more light (i.e. the un-diffused flash) so it may be a little under exposed, but its certainly worth a try.

The colours could be off because of the flash, or because of the green background which is common for most wargames tables. Again as the cameras are expecting to take pictures of people (a mix of colours) or landscapes (grass + sky + other colours) then the wall of green that is the background on a wargames table can throw the auto colour off.

If you need to use flash then get further away, so that the flash lights the figures, not washes them out. You can then always crop the photos to show the bit that matters. Most cameras are such high resolution that you can crop the picture significantly and still have a good sized photo to show online.

If you have a tripod, then switch the flash off, and just let the camera take a long exposure photo - just avoid knocking the table during this time!

If you have a modern phone, then I'd try using the camera on that, they are often very good.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Subedai

Natural light is the best.
Never use a white background, pastel shades are better.
Always use the delay option. I set my Canon for 10 secs to make sure.
Poundland flog mini tripods for...you've guessed it. 
Depending on how many pixies you have hidden inside, a macro is not really neccesary. I use a Canon program for adjusting -my pc is too old for anything but the earlier versions of Photoshop- which allows me to zoom in and the 15 mega's of tiny painters seem to get the focus okay.
A high f-stop will blur the background nicely.

That's my tuppence worth.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Matt J

In contrast to everyone else, I use fill flash close range on white background in light box. Increase contrast and brightness on the photo after.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

paulr

Fill flash can work if you have enough control over it
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!