Tippermuir with FK&P rules

Started by d_Guy, 28 April 2018, 08:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

I did the solo replay of Tippermuir without the random brigade activation attempts used in my previous play through. I did use a few local rule adjustments to model my conception of Montrose's army. The Covenanter's use the larger historically reported (but likely significantly exaggerated) numbers. These adaptations are done to give what I think is a very competitive scenario. The Royalists won this time by a margin so thin that if it were toast it would be transparent.

As always there is a full report here with many more pictures:
https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2018/04/28/and-with-there-swordes-assailed-both-horse-and-foote-the-battle-of-tippermuir-1644/

A quick summary is below:

The Royalist had no cavalry and had to make thier ranks only three deep on the flanks to prevent being enveloped (this was done in FK&P by using the optional "straddle" rule). In the early stages both sides move aggressively forward but Montrose achieves the Lamberkein high point first with some of his Highlanders:

Two turns later the Royalist flanks are staring to be turned and the Irish in the center are making little headway against the Covenanter regulars:

Several turns later it is beginning to look like a Convenanter victory.  The Royalist flanks have nearly collapsed into each other and Lord Tuillibardine pulls back his heavily damaged regulars to reorder them for the final push:

But the tide suddenly turns when Laghtnan's prevents the regulars from rallying and then crushes them. The Covenanters are split in two:

The next side to lose a unit will lose the battle. Alisdair MacColla attack's with O'Cahan's foot, breaks the last of the regulars and seals the Royalist victory:

This is a battle on a field with few terrain features (although the Lamberkein high point has some value) and fought in typical M&P style with foot in the center and horse on the wings (although Montrose is forced to substitute Highlanders for Horse). Scottish Horse, however, is poorly mounted and not very good. The Covenanters use a checkerboard formation (and are rewarded for doing so by the FK&P rules). To make matters even more interesting, Montrose has only a single unit with long pikes.

It is said in some quarters that ECW period battles are boring because of the almost stylized deployment but preventing your flanks from being turned or your line from being pierced present one tactical problem after another. I am always entertained by all the ways you can be defeated,

I Continue to like what the FK&P rules deliver, not least of which is the simple, blazingly fast play without giving up period feel.

Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

paulr

A great battle report :)

There is very little terrain but it does have some interesting impacts, particularly the Lamberkein high point :-\

There is a good chance we will be playing this scenario with our wider group this Saturday, or maybe Montgomery from the rule book
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

Another great account, Bill!  Your battles, with your amendments, bring the rules and the period to life!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Steve J

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Thanks, folks,

Quote from: mollinary on 28 April 2018, 09:15:59 PM
Another great account, Bill!  Your battles, with your amendments, bring the rules and the period to life!

:-[ :)

Thanks Andrew, a real complement. Of course you dug part of the foundation, built an elegant ground floor, then added all the fixtures and ammenities. I just did a bit of interior decorating.  :)

Quote from: paulr on 28 April 2018, 09:15:40 PM
There is very little terrain but it does have some interesting impacts, particularly the Lamberkein high point :-

The Covenanters could stay put on the higher ground that I style Burghmuir Hill and get the save modifier. It never occurred to me to do that. Usually gamers just want to get at it.

pierre the shy

Very interesting report thanks.

Paul and I played this scenario a couple of weeks ago using Bill's original map with slightly more terrain (some woods on the flanks of the Covenanter end of the table). It ended up with a fairly convincing Royalist victory though I didn't have the Covenant foot in checkerboard formation and was a bit too aggressive with the Covenant Horse.

I wasn't at our game last night but if we play Tippermuir next week I will use the lesser terrain version.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Techno

Great stuff, Bill !

Cheers - Phil

sunjester

Leman

A good looking battlefield. Have yet to get the rules but the more I hear about them the more I'm looking forward to having a go with them.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

29 April 2018, 04:37:34 PM #10 Last Edit: 29 April 2018, 06:04:33 PM by d_Guy
And again, thanks gentleman!

Leman you are pretty much responsible for the new look. Ever since seeing your use of fleece in several of your games I have been on the lookout for the right sort for my own use.  Finally found it. Following your example I then added some shading with various spray-on fabric paints. I’m happy with the end result.

fred.

A good looking game and a good write up.

The coloured lines and arrows on the photos do help explain what is going on - especially when both sides have lots of similar looking units.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

d_Guy

Thanks Fred - I do the lines so two weeks from now I can tell what's going on.  :)

Leman

Cheers Bill, at last I feel like I'm actually making a difference!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Terry37

Paul, Just seeing this. Great looking game!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams