latest issue of Warning Order magazine

Started by Steve J, 28 April 2018, 01:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Just a heads up that the latest issue of Warning Order is available, linked below:

http://www.wfhgs.com/PDFFILES/wo48.pdf

As always a great read. From a quick glance through, an issue that strikes a chord with me is the lack of time to try and learn new rulesets, or re-learn those that haven't been played for a while. Certainly my aim has been to focus on a few core rulesets so that I can enjoy the little game time I have, rather than trying to remember the rules!

Leman

Being retired I have loads of time and still forget rules. Currently trying to learn Saga 2 (no sign of any Orcs - probably because I am an Aetius and Arthur fan) and 1914. So far have all the WOs, so thanks for the info about issue 48.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

petercooman

Quote from: Steve J on 28 April 2018, 01:54:40 PM

As always a great read. From a quick glance through, an issue that strikes a chord with me is the lack of time to try and learn new rulesets, or re-learn those that haven't been played for a while. Certainly my aim has been to focus on a few core rulesets so that I can enjoy the little game time I have, rather than trying to remember the rules!

That's one of the things that has hit me as well. I used to have a different ruleset with different mechanics for each period/game.

I have been trying to get more of my games to work within the same system.

For example:

- pirate games, fantasy games, horror games, napoleonic skirmish all work with "their" song of blades and heroes variant
- big battle napoleonics and ACW use the period pecific rules from Neil Thomas
- large skirmish games use the "USE ME" system from alternative armies

This drasticly reduces learning (and lookup) time for preparing games,  and during games.

Norm

Quote from: Steve J on 28 April 2018, 01:54:40 PM
Just a heads up that the latest issue of Warning Order is available, linked below:

http://www.wfhgs.com/PDFFILES/wo48.pdf

Good shout, shall add it to my iBooks (great for hospital visits etc). I am trying to make greater use of 'series' systems, especially on the boardgame front, of which I have too much disconnected and stand alone games.

paulr

Series systems definitely make playing multiple periods easier :)

We use General Quarters for:

• per-Dreadnoughts
  • WW I
  • WW II

Volley & Bayonet for:

• American War of Independence
  • one of our sets for Napoleonic

and Spearhead/Modern Spearhead for:

• one of our sets for WW II
  • Cold war gone hot
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jaztez

My historical wargaming site: https://miniaturewar.games

Ben Waterhouse

Arma Pacis Fulcra

Leman

Although for those interested in the ACW, ACW Gamer is a very good emagazine as well.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Orcs

Quote from: Leman on 28 April 2018, 03:47:26 PM
Currently trying to learn Saga 2 no sign of any Orcs

No that's because I was not keen on SAGA 1  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson