Data Protection Act.

Started by Techno, 27 April 2018, 08:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luddite

Quote from: paulr on 28 April 2018, 08:40:03 PM
One of the interesting things about GDPR is that it appears to apply to dealings with EU citizens even if the organisation is not based in the EU

Organisations here in the Antipodes are having to consider their response particularly give the potential level of penalties

Not a Data Protection Officer, but involved in IT

Aye, for certain purposes. 

GDPR Article 3.(2).

This Regulation applies to the processing of personal data of data subjects who are in the Union by a controller or processor not established in the Union, where the processing activities are related to:
a) the offering of goods or services, irrespective of whether a payment of the data subject is required, to such data subjects in the Union; or
b) the monitoring of their behaviour as far as their behaviour takes place within the Union.

Oddly, once the UK leaves the EU, this will apply to us too!

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Leman

I had to sign into and use passwords and things to get into my gmail today. Is this related to the data protection thing?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Quote from: Leman on 30 April 2018, 07:52:54 PM
I had to sign into and use passwords and things to get into my gmail today. Is this related to the data protection thing?

This happens to me occasional when my iPad refuses to recognize my identity from my finger print (frequently because it is cut and has a layer of dried superglue) and then gives me only grudging access when I enter my six-digit PIN.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

paulr

Quote from: Luddite on 30 April 2018, 01:52:52 PM
Aye, for certain purposes. 

GDPR Article 3.(2).

This Regulation applies to the processing of personal data of data subjects who are in the Union by a controller or processor not established in the Union, where the processing activities are related to:
a) the offering of goods or services, irrespective of whether a payment of the data subject is required, to such data subjects in the Union; or
b) the monitoring of their behaviour as far as their behaviour takes place within the Union.

Oddly, once the UK leaves the EU, this will apply to us too!

I'm not sure what purposes aren't covered by that broad definition :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: Leman on 30 April 2018, 07:52:54 PM

Don't think so, Andy.

I had that a couple of weeks ago. Think it's just an occasional extra security check.

Cheers - Phil

toxicpixie

Quote from: d_Guy on 30 April 2018, 09:34:32 PM
This happens to me occasional when my iPad refuses to recognize my identity from my finger print (frequently because it is cut and has a layer of dried superglue) and then gives me only grudging access when I enter my six-digit PIN.

I frequently have my phone do that (perils of the side job :D), which is fine for the simple passcode on the phone but a right sod for remembering more detailed other stuff like forum logins or banking!

Gmail has been prompted for a log in a lot recently. I dunno if Chrome has changed settings somewhere or I've blanked my stored stuff testing stuff for actual work...

On the GDPR note I've had a *lot* of emails asking me to confirm details. Some are... quite tricky. They don't mention why, but are just a "friendly reminder" to update your preferences (some offering fabulous prizes, too!)...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

d_Guy

Yup - too many password. I even use an algorithm of sorts that generates by using some detail of the site in question but still mess it up occasionally.

Incidently I have just had an email from your National Army Museum in which I have to opt-in to be continued on their mailing list.
As my primary email is hotmail and not linked to a country, I occasional get things from your HM Revenue and Customs (I think because of my many on-line purchases in Britain).

Techno

Quote from: d_Guy on 01 May 2018, 04:28:05 PM
As my primary email is hotmail and not linked to a country, I occasional get things from your HM Revenue and Customs (I think because of my many on-line purchases in Britain).

X_X X_X X_X X_X X_X
Why am I not surprised ? =)

I think we should go back to fax machines. ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil.

Raider4

Quote from: d_Guy on 01 May 2018, 04:28:05 PM
As my primary email is hotmail and not linked to a country, I occasional get things from your HM Revenue and Customs

Well, they may say they're from HMRC but I wouldn't trust that.

I have a Hotmail account, and I'm in the UK, and I make online purchases, and have never had an email from HMRC, at least not one that's got through the spam filter.

toxicpixie

Yeah, I have to have a "system" (a little like the famous XKCD one!), but even then, as every site enforces a different security standard I have to remember caps/no caps, special characters, numbers, where stuff changes, was it XYZ in position 123 or...

I haven't yet got to the point of writing them down on a post it stuck to the screen but it's close :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

d_Guy

Quote from: Raider4 on 01 May 2018, 04:52:08 PM
Well, they may say they're from HMRC but I wouldn't trust that.

I have a Hotmail account, and I'm in the UK, and I make online purchases, and have never had an email from HMRC, at least not one that's got through the spam filter.

Yes - that is a good point raider, some are spam but an almost equal number uncover as having gov.uk extensions and deal with VAT issues. I don't pay VAT so ignore these as well. Although I do seem to recall one which was a "customer" survey which I took and gave them high marks.

I routinely get emails and call from those proporting to be our IRS, usually threatening to seize our bank accounts. They often uncover as something like "Irma.pig@hotmail.com".

There is a whole YouTube series by a guy who gives TED talks on his correspondence with email spammers. The virtual world is almost exactly like wandering around NYC's Times Square in the early 1970s.

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: fsn on 28 April 2018, 08:27:53 PM
You too? 

Hail and well met brother!

And I am a retired Data Protection Officer!
Arma Pacis Fulcra

fsn

Shall we form a subset of the Forum?

Threads about the difficulties in data controller/data processor relationships, the horror that is cloud computing and "my worst SAR"?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ben Waterhouse

And I can regale you all with the hoary old stories of saying to school bursars, " Yes you have to put that on your website and no you can't hide behind the child protection act" X 100
Arma Pacis Fulcra

d_Guy

Happy GDPR compliance day.

Apparently the most prevalent phishing emails at present are ones dealing with account verifications (with GDPR compliance mentioned as the reason). Be careful out there.