Data Protection Act.

Started by Techno, 27 April 2018, 08:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

What Ho gang.

The news seems to be full of the new data protection act, at the moment.
I must be on a fair number of different firms' databases......But I haven't had a single one come through to me and say "Is it alright if we keep your details ?"
Anyone had anything through yet ?

Cheers - Phil.

(Leon can take it as read that I'm more than happy for him to hold my details.......Wouldn't get much work done, otherwise.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D)

Subedai

As secretary for the local football clubs youth programme, I have been gettiing all sorts of information from the FA and the various local leagues but everywhere else has been strangely quiet.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

SV52

All depends on whether someone is making money off you I suppose (cynical old git!). ;)
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Smoking gun

I've had around three companies contact me, but many more haven't. This is further complicated that my tesco.net email service is ending in June.

Regards,

Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.

Leman

James Wellbeloved (dog food) contacted me this morning.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

I think you mean the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), Techno. The Data Protection Act came out in 1998 and there's a new one going through parliament at the moment.

GDPR brings Data Protection into the 21st century, including biometric and genetic data as personal identifers, and puts more emphasis on data controllers being clear with data subjects about the data they hold and what is done with it.  Fines for organisations not complying have gone up to  Eu20,000,00, or 4% or global revenue - whichever is the larger. The Tesco bank fiasco could have netted a £1bn fine. The Techno bank fiasco would probably nett something in the same region.

Many organisations are sending out "do you want to keep in touch?" messages as exercises in covering their donkeys.

FSN
Data Protection Officer
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Thanks muchly, Nobby..... :-bd

'They' just seem to be going on and on about it the mo'......And from what 'they've' been wittering on about it, I'm just surprised that I haven't had any emails to ask me if I want to stay on their database(s).

There's one particular company who will get a firm 'NO'.....And "Bog Off".  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil (I bet you're having oodles of fun, if you're having to deal with this.)

Orcs

My brother runs a small charity - set up by my Father that helps an orphanage in Zambia.  They have has to send a self addressed envelope with a form to fill in to every one on their mailing list confirming that they can A) keep their details on file and b) contact them in the future by sending the twice yearly newsletter. Its cost them a small fortune, just to confirm this with people who had specifically asked for the newsletter.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fred.

Quote from: Orcs on 28 April 2018, 10:07:48 AM
My brother runs a small charity - set up by my Father that helps an orphanage in Zambia.  They have has to send a self addressed envelope with a form to fill in to every one on their mailing list confirming that they can A) keep their details on file and b) contact them in the future by sending the twice yearly newsletter. Its cost them a small fortune, just to confirm this with people who had specifically asked for the newsletter.

Why didn't they just do this as part of the newsletter?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Orcs

28 April 2018, 04:10:01 PM #9 Last Edit: 28 April 2018, 04:11:39 PM by Orcs
Quote from: fred. on 28 April 2018, 03:44:00 PM
Why didn't they just do this as part of the newsletter?

I think it has to be a separate communication.  All the sites that have emailed me on the same subject have sent a specific email.

Most of the charities distribution list have never submitted or want to  be contacted by email.  Many of them probably remember  the "penny black" in circulation
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

<y understanding is that as far as we are concerned it means you have to opt in to receive any form of communication.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Luddite

As a Data Protection Officer, this is sort of my bag...

Your rights are significantly strengthened in some areas, and weakened in others.

Corporate obligations are now generally more onerus, especially around explicit consent (e.g. for direct marketing), hence the "can we still contact you" messages.

The government is currently trying to sort out a "Data Protection Bill" to bring GDPR into UK law post-Brexit.  It's not having a smooth passage, but it'll be interesting to see how this all comes together.

:)
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Dr Dave

Quote from: Luddite on 28 April 2018, 05:47:12 PM
..... but it'll be interesting to see how this all comes together.

I bet it won't be!  ;D

fsn

Quote from: Luddite on 28 April 2018, 05:47:12 PM
As a Data Protection Officer, this is sort of my bag...
You too? 

Hail and well met brother!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

One of the interesting things about GDPR is that it appears to apply to dealings with EU citizens even if the organisation is not based in the EU

Organisations here in the Antipodes are having to consider their response particularly give the potential level of penalties

Not a Data Protection Officer, but involved in IT
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!