Muscovite Army

Started by Terry37, 17 April 2018, 09:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

Had some good sunshine today so took a few quick snaps of the progress on my 17th century Muscovite army. The bases are not done as I wait until the entire army is done usually and then do them all at one time for consistency sake.

Artillery

Streltsi - 10th Regiment Feodor Lopokhin at left and 12th Regiment Ivan Naramansk at right - two Shooter elements

The Jiltsi - a Flyer element.

I am working on the command element and two elements of Knights/Riders - Boyars now.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

SV52

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Steve J

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Shutuphippie

2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

d_Guy

Great looking, Terry.

At first glance, the Jitsi looked as though they were riding carrousel ponies - which is actually a neet effect!  :) :-bd
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Terry37

Thank you all, I am having fun doing the army, as it is one I actually got the figures for years ago and had them cleaned, primed and ready to paint, but obviously some other project bumped them. The original army was organized for DBA-HX, but I really have more fun playing HOTT, and you can't have flying horsemen in DBA so HOTT is the obvious choice. That required a little reshuffling of figures, but I had almost everything I needed so am just enjoying it now.

Bill, Yes I can see how the striped lances could give the impression of a carousel horse. I used four sources for painting the Jiltsi - The viskovatov, Gush, Osprey and a small book on Eurasian warriors. Two of the sources showed the striped lances and I thought they added a little color so went with it. Also the various sources showed different colors of hats from a cheery red, to a raspberry red to yellow. I went with the yellow thinking it would be the most colorful. I wanted to give them yellow boots, but all of the sources indicated black or very dark brown boots.

Thanks again guys!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Techno

Very nice work, Terry ! 8)

Cheers - Phil

sunjester

That's going to be a very nice looking army when you've finished.

toxicpixie

You have flying light horse, and you're worried about yellow boots? Go for it, I say!

Lovely stuff :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

paulr

But they are historically uniformed flying light horse :) ;D ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

I'm still in shock from the ongoing, at least mid 80's onwards discussion about painting orcs the correct colour, I can't comment :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

They look great, and leaving the basing til last is a great incentive for getting the army finished.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Glorfindel

Lovely figures.

I presume you have seen this book (due out in 'May').

http://www.helion.co.uk/browse-title-series-more/century-of-the-soldier-c-1618-1721/books-in-series/muscovy-s-soldiers-the-emergence-of-the-russian-army-1462-1689.html

taken from a great series of books, including a few which will be covering
some more unusual subjects.   Really good to see familiar and not so
familiar subjects from a different perspective. 

Phil