basic impetus 2

Started by petercooman, 06 July 2018, 03:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Well here's this fool's opinion: since it's inception  Impetus has been overloaded with add-ons and revisions and is now a deeply flawed unplayable behemoth (evading medium cavalry being a prime example); it is overwhelmingly driven by competition players as any reading of it's forum will readily demonstrate (evading medium cavalry being a prime example); Basic Impetus 2 gives a quicker, cleaner game; actual battles did take place in the ancient world, seldom with equal sides otherwise they are most unlikely to have happened; the best thing ever to have happened for research for wargamers into ancient warfare was the WRG; the worst thing ever to have happened for rules for ancient warfare was the WRG.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: Leman on 08 July 2018, 10:40:13 AM
Well here's this fool's opinion: since it's inception  Impetus has been overloaded with add-ons and revisions and is now a deeply flawed unplayable behemoth (evading medium cavalry being a prime example); it is overwhelmingly driven by competition players as any reading of it's forum will readily demonstrate (evading medium cavalry being a prime example); Basic Impetus 2 gives a quicker, cleaner game; actual battles did take place in the ancient world, seldom with equal sides otherwise they are most unlikely to have happened; the best thing ever to have happened for research for wargamers into ancient warfare was the WRG; the worst thing ever to have happened for rules for ancient warfare was the WRG.

I can't argue with any of that. Leman has it spot on.

I still prefer Sword and Spear though, which is nice, since it has the same large basing.

Zippee

Quote from: Leman on 08 July 2018, 10:40:13 AM

I can't agree with much of that I'm afraid, and I speak as a long standing and frequent commentator on the forums and a player of Impetus who plays no tournaments but typically plays games based on history.

I can agree on the WRG sentiment

Leman

We shall then have to agree to disagree.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

stecal

Impetus lover here.  Tried BI2  and just found myself missing all the chrome from full Impetus ( the crazy unpredicatable charge distances and where are evades for LC being shot at?)

Like Zippee I greatly bear Lorenzo will just ruin the game with Impetus 2.  All I really want is Impetus 1.7 with the reactions from Baroque bolted on in a single rule book.  Sigh...

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!