Salute 2018 Show Report

Started by Steve J, 15 April 2018, 04:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Having partially recovered from travelling too and from Salute yesterday, some pics and thoughts on the show:

http://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/salute-2018-show-report.html

It was great to meet a few forum members and to have a chat with you all. The For King & Parliament games looked busy all day, which was great to see and it was good to be able to have a quick chat with Mollinary, as he and Simon Millar were somewhat in demand.

Ithoriel

Nice report and interesting pictures. Thanks for that.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Yep....Totally agree with the above.  :)

Cheers - Phil

Subedai

A good read and some interesting points raised. I went to the first one at Ecxel and hated it...haven't been since and from what I have read of other people's experiences my opinion hasn't changed.

Although you might not get all the big guns of wargaming showing up, I much prefer the smaller, or if you like, regional shows, that are easier on the body, especially the feet. I have most of what I need -but of course not all that I want- so it is rare that I buy much at shows anymore, I go mainly for the social aspect and to catch up with people.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Steve J

Thanks chaps :).

This year it certainly had a better feel and felt much less crowded and, thinking about it, much less noisy. A show this big is hard to get a nice feel to it. I much prefer Colours or WMMS, although the former is much easier to get to. The social aspect is all that keeps me going as I have pretty much all that I need and anything else I can order online.

paulr

Thanks Steve, an interesting report and some truly impressive games :) :) :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Nice report and pics Steve, good to chat to you yesterday! 
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

A day off :o
All that new power has gone to his head ;)
Well deserved I'm sure :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Always good to see you too Leon, but never enough time for good chat, as you are so busy, which is great to see :)

pierre the shy

16 April 2018, 08:30:22 AM #9 Last Edit: 16 April 2018, 08:33:09 AM by pierre the shy
Thanks to Steve J and other bloggers who take time to post reports on the various UK shows, always a great read for those who cannot attend in person.

The games all look fantastic, though one thing I couldn't fathom was why there was a boombox in the middle of the pirate game table?  :ar!

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Steve J

Apparently it was an AWI game, rather than a pirate one (mea culpa), but based upon a raid by the Spanish (I think). The boombox was playing appropriate music from waht I could hear over the general hubbub.

skywalker

Nice report.  =D> =D>
I attended the show and thought it did not seem as busy or crowded as my previous visits. The games were of good standard with decent variety of periods. There was a good selection of traders although only some of which giving good deals.
My hoard for the day consisted of paint from Pendraken, some ferrous sheets and magnets for Coritani and a copy of Wings of Glory Battle of Britain game from a trader whose name I can't remember.
All in all a grand day out. :-bd :-bd

d_Guy

Finally had a chance to sit down and go through your blog post and look at many of the pictures in detail,  thanks again for the time you spent organizing the blog post.

The Pikeman's Lament game you were working with looked absolutely brilliant. The terrain alone was worth a close study. Because of my narrow interests, I was particularly pleased to get a first look at Andrew and Simon's FK&P games. Running parallel games in 10mm and 28(+/-)mm seemed a brilliant idea and not sure that I have seen that done before (although I don't get out much).

I share your observation about games not having a static information display to explain what's going on. When I go to Historicon (a near five day extravaganza) many have great information setups, but just as many don't. It can be bewildering at times, particular if no one is around (or too engaged in action) to explain. Historicon does have a much higher emphasis on game play, however.

I saw the thread on Ancient battles not having as much terrain and your pics seemed to support that view BUT they seemed to fairly represent the historic battlefields.  :)

I enjoyed the vicarious journey through Salute.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Leman

Thanks for posting Steve. I have never yet been to Salute as getting there to make it worthwhile would be both expensive to stop over and thoroughly exhausting as a day trip.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!