Aztec warfare queries

Started by TinyTinTroops, 15 April 2018, 02:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glorfindel

>>I have one that's being used as a mount for a Skink hero in my Warmaster Lizardman army.

What a spiffing idea !   I might have to swipe that one if i can find a suitable model...

Matt J

I think I have 2 of those knocking around somewhere
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

TinyTinTroops

Hi Toxicpixie

Lion Rampant has been suggested on other forums where I asked the same questions. I just don't like the single based, buckets of dice skirmish games I'm afraid.

Thanks for the input though.

Tony
Tony Hughes of Tiny Tin Troops

2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Multi base the 10mm's so it looks like a mob of a few dozen men for each unit? I liked the idea so much I picked up an Aztec army pack specially!

Ofc now I have to roll them into the painting queue and then find time for a game so maybe this time next year I'll give you first hand feedback on the idea :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

TinyTinTroops

I am likely to have the same problem Toxicpixie. I still have some projects from my painting service to complete (which, in theory, I retired from last year !!) as well as the last couple of minor forces for my RCW project.

It all depends on whether I then do these or finish one of three part-finished jobs, do the terrain I need for WW1 & RCW or get one of the unstarted projects out of the cupboard.

In truth I need a new project like I need a hole in the head - but that never stops me starting them, finishing them is a whole different board game.

Tony

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

For the Quetzalcoatl I was thinking of a Brass Naga figurine with the wings from the Pendraken Dungeon Elder Thing:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hindu-Amulet-Statue-Small-Antique-Brass-Gold-Tone-Naga-figurine-Good-Luck-Gift/263560871560

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Terry37

GMan, I really like the figure, but for HOTT he is too small to make a very convincing Dragon. A Dragon figure is mounted on a 40 by 60 MM base and I am afraid he'd just be too lost on it. However, those wings look perfect for adding to some kind of snake or dragon body so I will have to get a set of them. Thanks for that heads up!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

If you're after bigger then you can look at the Schleich and Mojo snakes

Schleich

Approx. 5.9 x 4 x 3.4 cm (LWH)

Mojo

Approx. 6.5 x 6 x 3.2 cm (LWH)

They both work out as about 4 quid here in Australia. Might need bigger wings though :).

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

toxicpixie

Quote from: TinyTinTroops on 17 April 2018, 07:17:37 PM
I am likely to have the same problem Toxicpixie. I still have some projects from my painting service to complete (which, in theory, I retired from last year !!) as well as the last couple of minor forces for my RCW project.

It all depends on whether I then do these or finish one of three part-finished jobs, do the terrain I need for WW1 & RCW or get one of the unstarted projects out of the cupboard.

In truth I need a new project like I need a hole in the head - but that never stops me starting them, finishing them is a whole different board game.

Tony

Amen to that :D

Those Schleich etc snakes are great! Keep an eye out on the Pound Stores as well - they often have useful animals or dragons or other figures. They had some excellent massive Romans a couple of years ago who are now giants  for my D&D game ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ithoriel

Apologies, my Google-fu has clearly been weak of late. Knew I'd seen this somewhere but couldn't remember who made it!

https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/monsters-and-creatures/products/vnt27-coatl-winged-serpent

Eight quid gets you one, and twenty one quid gets you three, of these ...

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Glorfindel

This thread led to some furious searching of the net for winged serpents / coatl / couatl
etc...

I found this from Reaper Miniatures.   :

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/couatl/latest/14459

I am quite pleased with it but don't know if it will be big enough (I'm sure I've heard that
before somewhere  :D)

Phil

Terry37

Ah Phil!!! That is absolutely perfect and I will be ordering him right away. Also love the coloring and will use that as my guide! At the 6.99 price that tells me he is made for 15 MM scale and that is a plus too!

Guess I'll be starting a new army here, but they can be a perfect army to fight my 16th century Spanish!  

Thank you!!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

TinyTinTroops

Amazing how a thread can morph into an entirely different search and be more successful than the original !!!

I think I might have found some archers to work with - at least some that are worth a try.

Pendraken's own Indian hillmen - a bowman and a javelin man that can (I hope) be concerted to atlatl. Old figures so may not be up to the same standard as the new sculpts.

Also some Old Kingdom Egyptian bowmen from Magister Militum.

No luck yet with any in quilted top though.

Thanks for all the help

Tony

Terry37

This thread has renewed my interest in these very colorful fellows that I enjoyed about 12 years ago. I have started digging out my old references and re-reading them for my doing the HOTT Aztec army. I have the figures so that's no problem and found the great one for the Quetzalcoatl figure, so I'm all set there.

Just some observations after a day's review of my old references. The colors although bright, at least in the Mendoza Codex are not the brightest shades. For example, the yellow looks more ocher and the red is a darker red - not a Santa Claus red, etc. The blue is a sky blue however, but maybe even more like the Vallejo dark sky blue. So we have to ask is that due to the paints the codex was done with or was that how they looked. We'll never know until a workable time machine is available, so you can take what ever path you want regarding the hue of the colors you use. Just FYI, I plan to follow the darker tones.

Also, specific shield patterns, at least based on the various codex were associated with certain suits worn by different suit warriors. The same seems to be true for back banners also.

I wanted to share my great source find back then, but when trying to access it my anti-virus programs came up flashing bright red, so thanks to some moron with nothing better to do than deny others a great resource, I am not able to share it.
I did print everything off  back when I was doing my research, and wish I could share it easily, but I am talking maybe a hundred plus pages of material. However, if anyone wants some specific data I will try to assist if I can.

I will also recommend that by studying the various codices you can match suits to shield patterns,and the colors various suits were made in for accuracy. here are a couple that I have and find useful.

https://www.amazon.com/Codex-Mendoza-Aztec-manuscript-Commentaries/dp/B000NW3G4M/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1524244695&sr=1-4&keywords=codex+mendoza

https://www.amazon.com/Codex-Borgia-Full-Color-Restoration-Manuscript/dp/0486275698/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1524244695&sr=1-2&keywords=codex+mendoza

I am so caught up in this project that I may move it up in the painting queue and get started on it????

Terry

Glorfindel

>>Ah Phil!!! That is absolutely perfect and I will be ordering him right away.

Really pleased that it fits the bill.  :) 

I love the look of this model (the paint job is also superb) but just hope it
is the right size.   You'll have to let us know what you think.

Phil