Black Powder game taken from a boardgame situation

Started by Norm, 23 April 2018, 06:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I have been playing 2nd Bull Run from the boardgame Clash of Giants - ACW by GMT.

That threw up a small action that I am taking to the tabletop, the interest being that I am going to give Black Powder a go on a small table with a small Order-of-Battle.

I have put up a blog post that covers the converstion process. Part 2 will be an AAR.

LINK
http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/black-powder-slice-of-acw-action-on.html

d_Guy

It was interesting to follow the process you are using to translate a brigade level boardgame to a regimental level miniatures game.Clearly as a source for small scale action scenarios it seems to offer a huge number of possibilities. I will be interested to see how it plays out.

As you are playing within a single three hour turn on the boardgame and end up with six turns (and a possible seventh) on the table top did you simply make each tactical move one half hour or is the number of turns driving by the victory condition (i.e. what might be reasonably achievable in six turns)?
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Norm

Hi Bill, if the scenario works out, because of its simplicity, I might try out a few rule sets against it, just to draw some comparison.

re the time thing, the game does use three hour turns and it is interesting to see how the designer interpreted what units could achieve and the levels of damage they can suffer in that time. in transferring to Black Powder, I didn't use a time based ratio to get the 6 or 7 turns with Black Powder, rather it just so happens that BP games often play out over 6 turns, so I went for that. Imagining that the task in hand might see an action lasting around three hours seems okay to me, sort of thinking in terms of the action being the only thing these units would do in a morning or an afternoon say. If I was doing this as a Neil Thomas game, I would equally be happy with going with his generic 15 turns for a game, again accepting that the action is typically what might be happening in a 3 hour or so battle. 

Steve J

An interesting idea Norm and look forward to reading your AAR and post-game thoughts.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Thanks Norm.
I tend to be a little cavalier with both time base and ground scale to make scenarios play well.  :)
Will continue to watch your progress with interest.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on