Painting ECW artillery, help please.

Started by Last Hussar, 10 April 2018, 12:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

What do I paint ECW artillery? Bare wood, did they paint, was it down to the artillery commanders whim?
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Leman

Good question. the only book I have on this topic is the Osprey New Vanguard 108 on Civil War artillery, which, although it goes into all sorts of detail, does not mention painting gun carriages. However, the colour illustrations show a mixture of unpainted and painted carriages. The artist has generally gone for light red, orange and yellow. I do know that early in the previous century most gun carriages were painted black, red and yellow, including in combination. Logically it makes sense to paint guns to prevent rot and rust.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Zippee

Yeah,
don't think there's any direct evidence but there was a very good reason to paint gun carriages, so we can presume they were painted. The other option would be heavy varnich but paint is cheaper and easier.

I went for a deep dull red

ART 01 - Light Cannon - 02 by Zippee Jerred, on Flickr

which looks reasonable, doesn't glare or jump out but still gives a decent contrast to the black metal strapping on wheels and carriage.

Terry37

I am certainly no expert on this subject and like others am always interested  if for no other reason that colorful gun carriages look pretty cool on he battlefield. That said, most of my research seems to point toward the carriage being tarred - probably a dark-ish brown color, or oiled, a lighter color, maybe an ocher shade. Metal parts were probably either oiled or painted, which black being, I am guessing, the most prominent color.

I have read that the gun carriages in the Muscovite army of the period were painted red, but no mention of the metal fittings. I also suspect the red was not a bright shade, but a darker shade of red.

Treating the wood and the metal was not done for decoration, but to preserve them in the weather conditions.

That's all I am aware of on the subject.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

nigel drury

Ships timbers of the period were generally varnished, which tended to yellow over time.