Cold War Brit Tank or AFV commanders

Started by Heedless Horseman, 07 April 2018, 02:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

I doubt that there is a definitive answer to this but...about WHEN did Brit AFV commanders change from Berets and headsets to Bonedomes?  Were Centurion/Chieftan/Recce/FV432 different? My interest is pre 1985, but most pics of Brit army vehicles are not dated too accurately. Also, about when did it become 'better' to be buttoned down and rely on vision aids....(think this was MUCH later...if it is the  case!) ?

Ps to Pendraken...I think that some sort of generic commander with GPMG would be great...if Cold War AFVs are expanded. Same with Warsaw Pact.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Steeleye

I was in the Army in the mid-seventies.

At that time Chieftain crew wore berets while the crews of CVRTs were just getting bonedomes.

Tank commanders commanded from a 'heads up' position much in the way of WWII and Israeli tank commanders. Only rarely did we 'button up' and this was usually done to show how difficult it was to command a tank and spot the enemy with your hatches closed.

I suspect that drivers driving opened up was a safety thing as it was very difficult to see infantry lying on the ground in front of you through the driver's sight.

Loaders were supposed to ride looking to the rear for signs of air attack, something they wouldn't be able to do if riding closed down.

I would say that the introduction of bonedomes was a slow process starting in the mid-seventies and ending some time in the mid-to-late-eighties.

As for commanding closed down, I wasn't aware that British tank commanders did...if they were closed down why was there such a stink about not having enough body armour for tank commanders a few years ago?

T13A

Hi

Definitive answer for 2RTR at least. Mid 1976. 4th Armoured Brigade , BAOR, Munster, West Germany.

If I knew how to post photos directly onto this post I would!

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Steeleye

This is true...what's right for one regiment isn't for another!