3 on a 2p for PL
0 (0%)
4 on a 2p for PL
1 (20%)
More on a 2p for PL
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Last Hussar

Many years ago I acquired some 10mm ECW (as per my other question about how tightly to base), and they have been progressing in fits and starts.  The intention was to base for Regiment of Foote by Peter Pig.

Then a couple of years ago I was given some traditional 25's - proper inch high Hinchcliffes from the 70s.  These I based up for RoF, and padded them out a bit with some extras to give some flexibility in the army list choice.

Now, what to do with the 10s?

Do I press on and have a RoF army? I get 12-16 on a base as opposed to 2 25mm
Do I rebase 1-2 on a penny and play Pikeman's Lament in centimeters measurements - 1p = 1 figure?
Do I rebase 3-4 (or more) on 2p and play PL as written, with a 2p = 1 figure?
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

You chaps are allowed to comment/give advice/etc

GNU PTerry

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

I wouldn't bother basing  the 10s for a ruleset you already have a decent sized army for - unless you have an opponent with 10s

Doing PL with 10s would quickly let you get several forces done.  I'd probably go with distances as writtten in the rules with sevreql figures to a base.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Westmarcher

I haven't voted because having acquired PL and also having my head turned with FK&P, I'm still struggling to decide what scale I'm going to go for and what basing I should adopt.

The irony is that skirmish wargaming is more suitable for the larger scales and the smaller scales are more suitable for the mass effect. You're having to look at it the other way round.

How many 25mm figures do you currently have and how many figures per base? If you have less than 7 per base, you could rebase some these for skirmish wargaming (you shouldn't have to rebase all - just enough to provide 'change' for casualties) and either keep or sell off the surplus. You could then start brand new 10mm armies with the basing conventions of your choice that would be suitable for RoF, P&S and FK&P.

A dilemma indeed.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Last Hussar

I have enough 25s for 2 RoF armies, based 2 to a base, with some singles I have to provide hit markers, or change if 'required'

GNU PTerry

sunjester

A couple of thing to think about.

Do any of the options require the purchase of more figures?

Would any of TPL options allow you to play larger, multiple company battles?

Westmarcher

Quote from: Last Hussar on 07 April 2018, 10:01:11 AM
I have enough 25s for 2 RoF armies, based 2 to a base, with some singles I have to provide hit markers, or change if 'required'

Sorry, you did say that.  :-[  I'm not well (a 'perfect' cold / man flu) and away back to bed. But before I do so, here's a link to Peter Pig for those, like me, who know nothing of RoF. Good luck.

http://www.peterpig.co.uk/ROF%20info.html
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Last Hussar

Quote from: sunjester on 07 April 2018, 10:20:11 AM
A couple of thing to think about.

Do any of the options require the purchase of more figures?

Would any of TPL options allow you to play larger, multiple company battles?

Going on the army lists I have on the computer I must have at least 40 bases of pike, and 55ish of musket - so double that in figures; I reckon about 3-4 companies in total in 25mm.

Just checked - I can get 9 10mm on a 2p (3x3) - Slightly smaller than PP say in the rules, but still playable - and I'd get 3 bases instead of 2 for the same figures.  I think I have 12 Pike and 16 Shot at the moment.

Will need to get more 10mm anyway unless the are the skirmish set with 4 on a 2p.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

So I had a quick count up of just infantry.

I have 14 bases of pike now (painted and based two over last few days) and 17 shot. I reckon 40 and 50 bases respectively would be enough for most possible army combos, unless I started fielding all conscript armies. That's another 26 and 33 bases. 1 pack of men does two pike or three shot, so 25 packs of infantry - £130, plus odds and sods; generals, maybe hit markers, flags. Don't know how much cavalry I have but will need 240 in total (40 bases), think I have 20 bases ready or unpaintexd

GNU PTerry