SAGA V2

Started by DanJ, 06 April 2018, 01:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanJ

Saga is one of my favourite games, with a simple set of generic rules being fleshed out by simple but effective faction specific rules.  The system was getting a bit unwieldy with several supplements and errata muddying the waters, however a new version has been announced which claims to simplify the whole system, has anyone tried them yet.

Nearly forgot, we generally played them as big multi player games with many times the average army size and they worked very well.

Fenton

Haven't played them myself but the people I know who have have said its an improvement. They say of the armies have changed some better some worse but they like having one set of standard rules to cover everything and colour added via the supplements
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Leman

A friend of mine is picking up the new rules, plus the errata and new battleboards  for Aetius and Arthur from Salute next week.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Wulf

I'd also like to know if these are worth the price - the rules are reasonably cheap, but the army supplements are a bit pricey!

Leman

Fortunately I already had Aetius and Arthur, which, when eventually reprinted and amended, is going to be called the Age of Invasions Universe. I have started reading the new rules and was initially rather taken aback. The tone of the rules has gone very Games Workshop, ie, you're 14 and I'm a terribly witty sixth former (with the emphasis on terribly!), eg.' The book you hold in your sweaty, trembling hands.........'; 'That leaves enough space around the edge of the table for the indispensable snacks and drinks which players need when clashing savagely.' (not if they are anywhere near figures I've spent months painting!).

The mention of now being able to play in a 'fantasy medieval universe' makes it clear to me where the rules are heading and the clientele being chased (not to mention the photos of figures of orcs and monsters. Oh well, twas ever thus! ...............kerching $$$$$

Wulf

But are the rules, once the froth is blown off, BETTER? And would the old armies be playable with the new rules?

Glorfindel

Dan J,

>>we generally played them as big multi player games with many times the average army size and they worked very well.

Can I assume that you put together the article on building 15pt Crusader & Saracen armies that appeared in Mini Wargames ?   
If so, I've got to say a big thank you !   This was pretty inspirational stuff - I hadn't considered Saga before reading this and
now hope to build something similar.

I understand that the original Crescent and Cross supplement included the full rules (ie. a game in its own right rather than
a supplement) - I will probably look at that.

Phil

Steve J

There is a review of Saga 2 in the latest issue of WS&S. Haven't received it yet so no idea on whether it is an improvement on the original or not.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The chaps at our club seam to be enjoying it.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Well, having read more of the core rulebook, and trying to work out which families from Game of Thrones are depicted in the photos (the Kingslayer is definitely there) I am now a little more clued up. I seem to remember in the original rules that you started with six Saga dice and could place one on an ability that then enabled you to get more. That has gone and you now get all eight (at least at the start of the game). The core rule mechanisms are very straightforward, ie movement in straight lines with a VS gap between figures at the end; building a pool of dice for shooting and melee, with an absolute maximum of 16 dice; accruing fatigue etc. The warlord is still there, but heroes are available in the universe books. The hearth guard (4), warriors (8) and levies (12) are still there. The composite bow has replaced the bow for some troops, eg Byzantines, and all the battle boards are slightly different from the originals. Ragnar has disappeared, to be replaced by 'the scribe,' which is obviously Arsene Wenger's new job, judging by the picture. He is another one of the 'witty' GW types - sigh! Nevertheless the game itself still looks to be one of mastering your chosen army's battleboard abilities and using the Saga dice to make the most of them in any turn, hence the simplicity of the movement and combat I assume. BUT I really do find the constant references to smashing the bones of your enemy and dancing on the blood-soaked ground rather tiresome.

Steve J

I think I'll stick with Lion Rampant et al for my skirmish games;  a good core set of mechanics tweaked slightly across the Rampant stable.