How close for ECW

Started by Last Hussar, 05 April 2018, 12:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

I know people put less on the base, but my ECW pike are as tight as I can get them - 15-16 on a 30mm base (4 ranks of 4). Is that too close?
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Terry37

I think that would depend on how it looks, and if you like the look. I game in 15 MM, and use the HOTT rules. So my pike blocks for the Italian Wars period are 12 figures on a 40 x 40 MM base, and for the TYW I have 10 figures on a 40 x 40 MM base. For me this is the most I can mount n that size base.

Italian Wars S =sword/pole arm, O = drummer, A = arquebus and P = pike.

SODS
   APPA
   APPA

TYW is a little different looking like this. M=musket, O = officer, D = drummer and P = pike.

MODM
   MPPM
     PP

Don't know if this helps, but thought I'd share it just in case.

Terry

"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

paulr

05 April 2018, 04:46:46 AM #2 Last Edit: 05 April 2018, 04:52:39 AM by paulr
A related question is how deep should ECW pike be

From the very limited reading I've done it appears six ranks was common, the same as for musketeers

So perhaps our 'traditional' 2 deep shot and 4 deep pike is not the best representation

I'm currently thinking about 5 Pike and 10 Musketeers on a 12-13cm base, or possibly on three 4cm sabots  :-\

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

05 April 2018, 10:06:23 AM #3 Last Edit: 05 April 2018, 10:16:35 AM by Westmarcher
This is a site worth looking at IMO. Have a look at spacing in the Order, Open Order and Close Order sections.

http://syler.com/drillDemo/menu.html

I also recently posted this link on another thread that indicates that whilst shot could be 6 ranks deep in the 'Swedish Brigade' system, pikes could only be 5 ranks deep - reinforcing paulr's feeling that pikes should not be deeper than shot.

http://www.syler.com/Breitenfeld/infantry/SwedeBrigade.htm
[to get the best out of this resource, remember to click on sub-headings, animations and other internal links, etc.]

NB: Here's another link to Naseby - it's the same print kindly posted by Paul above but allows you to zoom in and out using the plus and minus icons.

https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/750070/plan-of-battle-of-naseby-1645
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Last Hussar

This is how they are based - they are on 30mm square because that is what the rules say (Peter Pig RoF), and also they fit nicely in a Really Useful Box hobby tray (if the rules said 35mm or 25mm I would still have gone with 30mm!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lasthussar/sets/72157621671630377/

You'll note the Shot is 3-4 deep as well.

GNU PTerry

paulr

fred.

Quote from: paulr on 05 April 2018, 04:46:46 AM

I'm currently thinking about 5 Pike and 10 Musketeers on a 12-13cm base, or possibly on three 4cm sabots

I think that might look a little thin. I find that 8-9 figures is the fewest that look ok on a 40mm square base. Even then they will look fairly open order.

One detail did notice on the Nasbey engraving is that there is a gap between the pike element and the two shot elements. So basing the figures in the centre of the bases with a border would then look correct when they are put together to make a unit.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

sunjester

Those look good to me. Have you got enough done for a game yet?  ;)

Dr Dave

The whole point of pike is that they need to be shoulder to shoulder. Too spread out, too many gaps destroys the integrity of the unit. I'd pack 'em in!

Last Hussar

Ok, That's that question answered.  Will be starting a new thread - WITH A POLL (possibly)

GNU PTerry

paulr

Quote from: paulr on 05 April 2018, 04:46:46 AM
I'm currently thinking about 5 Pike and 10 Musketeers on a 12-13cm base, or possibly on three 4cm sabots  :-

Quote from: fred. on 06 April 2018, 09:48:52 AM
I think that might look a little thin. I find that 8-9 figures is the fewest that look ok on a 40mm square base. Even then they will look fairly open order.

One detail did notice on the Nasbey engraving is that there is a gap between the pike element and the two shot elements. So basing the figures in the centre of the bases with a border would then look correct when they are put together to make a unit.

That must of seemed like it made sense when I typed it :-/

I'm currently thinking about two ranks of 5 Pike and 10 Musketeers...

I like the idea of gaps :-\

fred.

2x5 figures on a 40mm base makes sense. You then have space for an officer at the back.

With a gap you might only need 4 in a rank?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 06 April 2018, 07:04:07 PM
That must of seemed like it made sense when I typed it :-/

I'm currently thinking about two ranks of 5 Pike and 10 Musketeers...

That makes a lot more sense  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.