Too many.. or too few bottles of paint?

Started by Aksu, 04 April 2018, 01:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

My Rotting Flesh ran out a couple of decades ago, sadly. It was too useful :D

The pink and Hobgoblin Orange are two of my hold outs - though the Orange has now died enough I had to buy a vaguely matching Vallejo this year :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

GW terracotta, I must have nurses that pot through 20 years!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Glorfindel

>>I was really bummed when devlan mud went away....

I had a similar response when Badab Black was replaced as I use this all the time.
However, have a look at this site which tests a replacement :

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/devlan-mud-and-badab-black-wash.html

I was really pleased with the suggested replacement for Badab Black.

Worth a thought.

Phil

Orcs

I have avoided citadel paints for many years as they were so overpriced.  However I recently brought the new washes Agrax earthshade and Nuln oil (Black) and been really pleased with the results. They dry really quick too, so no waiting overnight after putting on a magic wash based on wndsor and newton inks

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

Still getting mileage out of my Rose gold powder, which I bought in 1968.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

petercooman

Snapped a pic of my 'paint box' while i was at it this afternoon!

Still not that many i think  :D

OzarkOrc

Looks pretty normal to me. After a four year hiatus from painting, I have actually made progress in the last month; I have some indeterminate number of browns.

A couple of queries/suggestions.  Does anyone use cheap craft paints?  The major "hobby" vendor locally (here in Darkest Arkansas) is the infamous Hobby Lobby;  bought three bottles of the stuff last Friday, a (dark) Green, Blue ("fog") and Basic Black;  US$1.77.  And I am through with GW if possible, yes, I restored my "dwarf flesh" and Flesh Wash "survived" but so many of them dried beyond recovery, and the local store has no clue what the conversions to current range would be.

I think I have at least eight craft paint browns; 

fsn

I use craft paints - but only for terrain/basing. I find it a bit thick out the bottle, but when diluted seems to lose its vibrancy.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

I use the likes of Americana, Anita's and Crafter's. Some of them, particularly the reds, are a little on the thin side, but work ok over a white undercoat. The most useful I have found are Anita's Terracotta and Anita's Periwinkle, which is really good for early WWI Austrians.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Subedai

I was brassed off when I found out that I could not get Anita paints anymore, but recently The Works have been flogging a large selection of similar sized placcy bottles from Crafter's Choice. I don't use them on figures but have found them to be perfect on buildings. At £1 a bottle I now have 20 of them.

WHEN WILL IT END???!!!
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!