Too many.. or too few bottles of paint?

Started by Aksu, 04 April 2018, 01:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aksu

I started organising my paints after 3D printing a few paint-stand-thingies. Well, it turns out that laying out your bottles in order is a very good idea. It turns out I have over 12 bottles of "brown" in various shades (not counting flesh paints) and only three shades of Red (counting Orange as Red). And some 15 bottles of Green. Perhaps I need to sit down and think of which shades I will actually need.
I wonder if anyone else suffers from the same sudden "ooh shiny" impulse when going paint shopping, combined with total amnesia regarding what one already has...
Cheers,
Aksu

toxicpixie

Looks pretty normal to me, except for the level of organisation you've achieved :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Subedai

Quote from: toxicpixie on 04 April 2018, 02:12:38 PM
Looks pretty normal to me, except for the level of organisation you've achieved :D

I'd agree with that.

I got bored after counting 53 bottles/droppers etc in the immediate rear of my painting space. Next to it I have an overstocked vegetable box with at least a further150 paints iin it. Then there are the ones I haven't touched in donkeys like the artists acrylics and the oils. AND YET I CAN STILL RUN OUT OF SPECIFIC COLOURS/SHADES!!!!!
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

toxicpixie

Quote from: Subedai on 04 April 2018, 04:30:32 PM
AND YET I CAN STILL RUN OUT OF SPECIFIC COLOURS/SHADES!!!!!

I know! And oddly both in oft used colours and stuff that seldom see's the light of day - I'm sure someone's syphoning out paint sometimes or hiding bottles :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: toxicpixie on 04 April 2018, 04:37:23 PM
I know! And oddly both in oft used colours and stuff that seldom see's the light of day - I'm sure someone's syphoning out paint sometimes or hiding bottles :D
It's the paint goblins who come along and drink it
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Strangely enough, I have only one shade of yellow.

But three of purple.   :-\

As someone with great interest in post 1900 in temperate climes, I have many, many shades of brown, green and browny green. 

If you were someone who games exclusively pre-1900 then your colors may be unbalanced. Otherwise, you're fine. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jimduncanuk

I have over 100 bottles of paint in plain sight with at least 7 unopened Foundry triads in a stack nearby, 50+ paint bottles in drawer number 2 (drawer number 1 is for glues and stuff), 20+ bigger paint jars in drawer number 3 as well as three other drawers elsewhere with a few paint bottles in each.

Drawer number 5 has some tubes of artists acrylics but I don't use them much.

I only have one yellow too unless you count desert yellow.

I have way more paint brushes too.

My Ego forbids a signature.

Orcs

I have a 50 bottle Vallejo paint stand that is full and three small sets of three draws about 5"x10" x 6" that hold approx. another 100 paints as my "ready use" paints. I then have an A4 box file  full of with spares.

The problem is that to save painting time I buy the correct Vallejo colour rather than mixing it  from the other paints. 

I have a painting notebook that I write down what colours I have used for what project so I can add units or vehicles later  
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

SV52

I've gone the other way, as limited a palette as I can get away with.  A while back I counted 25 different paints on one Napoleonic cavalry figure, 20mm too.  Enough is enough.  Too many paints drying out with hardly a drop used.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

paulr

I use plastic 'take away' containers to group my paints
There are 21 in the brown group and 14 in the grey group, I paint a lot of ships ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

05 April 2018, 07:33:52 AM #11 Last Edit: 05 April 2018, 07:43:02 AM by petercooman
I have a lot, but also a lot of spares. I try to keep a 'reserve' pot of colours I use a lot. Like charred brown for example, or gunmetal, wich I both use for weapons.

I also impulse buy in the paint department. For example, I 'm running out of citadel mournfang brown. I use that colour on my bolt acction minis. Ordered a new pot yesterday, and to be on the safe side, I ordered the base paint set as well  :D

And some silver, and another bone colour, and two pots of agrax earthshade..

In other words, a 3,30 purchase turned into a 60€ purchase pretty fast! Still I don't have everything I need  ;D

I must add, it's the first time in years since i bought citadel paints, formerly only getting vallejo. I bought the 'dark vengeance' set from a local store, and got a citadel essential set for free with it. I really liked the paints in there, and they complimented my vallejo stuff really well. And i think agrax earthshade has completely banned vallejo umber shade from my painting. The results are so much better! I already had two pots in my stockpile, and just ordered two more, so i won't run out anytime soon!

I was really bummed when devlan mud went away and i was down to my last pot, so i won't let that happen again! (i ordered 5 pots of gryphonne sephia in those days, because i was painting an orc army with yellow tunics, and i really wanted everything to match :D )

Westmarcher

I don't have a painting desk - I use the kitchen table - so everything has to be moveable on a 'rapid response' basis when the cry goes out, "Dinner will be served, in 10 minutes!'. This means I have very few paints in comparison to most of you guys (a shoebox full, with extra paints in another box) yet still I have some paints I have not opened for years. I suppose you could consider these unused paints as surplus to requirements and therefore I have "too much" paint but just the other day, I dug out the Oxford Blue for the first time in years, added some acrylic thinner and water and, hey presto, I was in business. Mind you I have five different types of flesh colour - I suppose that's too much!   
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

toxicpixie

I think I've three flesh tones...

I do still have some very old 80's era GW paints from my youth, they're still going well!

petercooman

Quote from: toxicpixie on 05 April 2018, 10:59:40 AM
I think I've three flesh tones...

I do still have some very old 80's era GW paints from my youth, they're still going well!

Same here. Tentacle pink and blazing orange, and I think bronzed flesh as well. Although rotting flesh is drying out on me.