ECW project using For King and Parliament

Started by paulr, 04 April 2018, 06:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subedai

From my research -admittedly undertaken back in the 80's- horse did not necessarily wear the same coloured coat which may well have been hidden by the buff coat sleeves and/or a vambrace, at least on the rein arm. 
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

07 June 2018, 10:32:54 PM #76 Last Edit: 07 June 2018, 10:35:47 PM by Leman
Likewise, the only mounted troops I have ever come across with a specific coat colour are dragoons. With most cavalry, especially those that will look similar owing to the ubiquitous buff coat, the colour of the sash is probably more important for identification, plus the standards of the various troops within the regiment.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

pierre the shy

Well I am one happy gamer tonight - I'm getting all my Partizan Press ECW books back form a friend of mine who I have not seen for.....several years  :) :) :) :)

I got a email from him completely out of the blue tonight suggesting a catch up since he found my contact details on an envelope that I wrote them on last time I saw him back in 2015  :o

In exchange I am going to be able to return a whole lot of 6mm V&B stuff plus terrain of his.

A great start to the weekend.

Now we just need our order from PM to arrive and our ECW project can get underway  :-bd   
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

d_Guy

That's great news, Peter. I think anyone who does W3K period should have access to these books. As you probably know they have all of Montrose's 1644-45 battles (omitting only Justice Mills). Occasionally some details are wrong here and there but does not distract from their usefulness. They include the only battle of the period fought here in North America so what's not to like.  :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

paulr

Great news Peter :) :)
If I get to borrow any of them I promise to return them more promptly  ;) ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

I now have a few specific questions about the Parliamentarians at Cheriton, on the off chance

Foot
Flag design
  Sir William Waller
  Sir Arthur Hesilrigge
  Major-General Christopher Potley
  Colonel Ralph Weldon
  Colonel Samuel Jones
  Colonel Adam Cunningham

They're going to look a bit boring if they all have the plain Colonel's flag and Lt-Colonel's plain with St George in the canton flag, suggestions :-\

Horse
Coat colour, flag colour & design
  Colonel Jonas Vandruske
  Colonel Richard Norton
  Colonel John Dalbier

Coat colour & flag design
  Colonel George Thompson's London Regiment (Blue flag)

As discussed the buff coat will dominate for the horse

Dragoons
Coat colour
  Sir William Waller's Regiment of Dragoons – I suspect yellow ;)

Any information appreciated

pierre the shy

Quote from: d_Guy on 08 June 2018, 03:10:17 PM
That's great news, Peter. I think anyone who does W3K period should have access to these books. As you probably know they have all of Montrose's 1644-45 battles (omitting only Justice Mills). Occasionally some details are wrong here and there but does not distract from their usefulness. They include the only battle of the period fought here in North America so what's not to like.  :)

Unfortunately these are not the 5 scenario books D Guy.  The ones I have are the 2 Scots colours books and general books about the Royalist and Covenanter armies by Stuart Reid IIRC....could be something on English colours too......its been a while since I have seen them  ;)

Still be very glad to see them all again.  >:<

paulr

I've done a bit more research and found some of the info I was after :)
Updated list below

I now have a few specific questions about the Parliamentarians at Cheriton, on the off chance

Foot
Flag design
  Sir William Waller
  Sir Arthur Hesilrigge
  Colonel Ralph Weldon
  Colonel Samuel Jones
  Colonel Adam Cunningham

They're going to look a bit boring if they all have the plain Colonel's flag and Lt-Colonel's plain with St George in the canton flag, suggestions :-\
All flag designs now identified :o :) :) :)

Horse
  Colonel Jonas Vandruske / Colonel Robert Burghill
  Colonel Richard Norton
  Colonel John Dalbier

Colonel George Thompson's London Regiment - one source says Blue cornet another gives an example of a Red cornet with a motto in gold :-/
  also commanded by Colonels Richard Turner / Robert Thorpe / Edward Popham / George Starr

Dragoons
Coat colour

mollinary

Quote from: paulr on 09 June 2018, 06:38:31 AM
I've done a bit more research and found some of the info I was after :)
Updated list below

Foot
Flag design
  Sir William Waller
  Sir Arthur Hesilrigge
  Colonel Ralph Weldon
  Colonel Samuel Jones
  Colonel Adam Cunningham

They're going to look a bit boring if they all have the plain Colonel's flag and Lt-Colonel's plain with St George in the canton flag, suggestions :-
All flag designs now identified :o :) :) :)

Horse
  Colonel Jonas Vandruske / Colonel Robert Burghill
  Colonel Richard Norton
  Colonel John Dalbier

Colonel George Thompson's London Regiment - one source says Blue cornet another gives an example of a Red cornet with a motto in gold :-/
  also commanded by Colonels Richard Turner / Robert Thorpe / Edward Popham / George Starr

Dragoons
Coat colour

Well done Paul! Yes, as you show, all those foot regiments have flags and coat colours attributed on the BCW regimental wiki site.  To add to your Colonels and Lt Colonels Flags a few Majors with a single pile why from the corner, and some simple devices, such as plates, might make sense?
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Quote from: pierre the shy on 09 June 2018, 02:50:51 AM
Unfortunately these are not the 5 scenario books D Guy.  The ones I have are the 2 Scots colours books and general books about the Royalist and Covenanter armies by Stuart Reid IIRC....could be something on English colours too......its been a while since I have seen them  ;)

Still be very glad to see them all again.  >:<

Dang! I now remember you previous post regarding the books. Should you ever have the opportunity to get them be aware that the Montrose scenarios are spread over all four volumes.
Sleep with clean hands ...

pierre the shy

Quote from: d_Guy on 09 June 2018, 12:30:53 PM
Dang! I now remember you previous post regarding the books. Should you ever have the opportunity to get them be aware that the Montrose scenarios are spread over all four volumes.

Thanks D Guy. I found a breakdown of what battles are featured in each volume on the Cavalier website. At 17.50 pounds per book these are on my "would be nice to have" list as opposed to "must have" list.

I hope to catch up with my long lost friend today to get the books back in exchange for all the 6mm stuff and have a bit of a chinwag with him.

I know Pete C was looking at Scots ECW armies a while ago, which is why I lent him the books in the first place. Could well be another local FK&P player  ;)   

pierre the shy

I got my books back a few days ago  :) They have a lot of detail about the later Covenant regiments from the 1647 - 1651 period that will allow me to field units with accurate colours (I am going to show colonel's and one other colour per battalia) as well as those units which chased Montrose around Scotland in 1644/45.

My goal has been to be able to deploy enough units to be ultimately able to look at fighting larger scale actions like Dunbar, Preston and Worcester using the combined armies that Paul and I have ordered.

I've been pestering him every couple of days with a text asking "is it here yet", but our parcel is still evidently in transit.   

paulr

paulr

I've been doing some background work on labels and flags for this project
I have now sorted out all the foot flags, including a couple of units where I'm guessing the flag colour and have used Lt-Colonel's flags as the don't have any device ;)

On to the Dragoons and Horse next, I have quite a bit of info for the dragoons but for the horse there will be a lot of edged cornets, some of 'selected' colours ;)

pierre the shy

Our order has arrived in NZ.... :) :)

Paul will be collecting it tomorrow.