ECW project using For King and Parliament

Started by paulr, 04 April 2018, 06:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Hi d_Guy, the bottom of the sabot is 2mmt thick MDF, then the 1-2mm thick magnetic vinyl, then the 2mm thick MDF base the figures are on means the bottom of the figure base will be 5-6mm above the table :o

This approach would also mean transporting the figure stands out of their sabots, so there magnetic vinyl can hold them safe while traveling

Pierre the Shy has a foam transport option I'll have a look at on the weekend

Another option I'm thinking about is 'steel paper' or 'magnetic paper' but I'm also interested in other approaches
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Hi Paul - thanks, I see what you mean. obviously I accept the figures being raised but understand a "thinner" approach looks better. Incidently the magnet receptive sheet I am using is probably the "steel paper" you mention. This stuff:

https://www.custom-magnets.com/magnet-receptive-rolled-steel-plain.html
Sleep with clean hands ...

fred.

Paul the magnetic vinyl you use sounds very thick. The self adhesive magnetic sheet I use is 0.7mm I think. Steel paper is very thin, just the thickness of a couple of sheets of paper.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Yes, the vinyl I currently use is deliberately thick, it makes the bases easier to pick up without making them to thick (the vinyl doesn't go right to the edge of the base)

It is also readily available at a reasonable from sign writer supply stores, it is used for applying removable signs to cars and for fridge magnets and similar...

Bunny

Quote from: Leman on 07 April 2018, 08:23:26 AM
Forgive me for seeming a bit dozy, but isn't three (or four, with separate command) 40mm bases more flexible than one 120mm base. Lots of figures means lots of glue, means more chance of warping as well. Then there is the opportunity to field different units with the same figures - just change the command base, which can be shallower than the other bases and thus less intrusive.

The potential warping of the bases is not an issue for me as I use Tiny Tin Trooper's pre-magnetized bases.  The magnetic strip take away that issue.

O Dinas Powys

Could you not just base the figures directly into the magnetic vinyl to reduce the height by 2mm?

If you're worried about warping just magnetise them to any old tin tray/biscuit tin lid/baking sheet while the basing material sets and maybe increase the rigidity with Milliput or similar.

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

paulr

I've had the chance to compare the lists that I, with assistance from Mollinary, came up with for Cheriton with an article on the battle in a recent issue of the Arquebusier from the Pike and Shot Society

I was very pleased to see a high level of agreement between the article and the lists :o :)

This project is getting very close to being ordered

Hwiccee

There are a number of decent OOB's for Cheriton, including the one in the Pike and Shot society magazine, but I am afraid they involve a lot of guess work. They are also not the worst problem with doing Cheriton. There is a lot of dispute about exactly where the battle happened and what the terrain was like. Also on the details of the units - tactics, etc. The good news is it is a good game, or at least with the rules I have used.

Leman

There is also a useful OOB and map for Cheriton in the first ECW campaign scenarios book (available from Caliver) which covers the west country campaigns of Waller and Hopton, including some very obscure little affrays as well as the bigger scraps like Roundway Down.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Leman reminds me that there is also the four volumn set of battle scenarios at Partizan Press (and an additional one for sieges IIRC). Lot's of grist for the mill. A few errors here and there but not objectionably so. Cover most of the battles in Montrose's campaign, Benburb in Ireland and, as Leman says, many obscure battles (including the one fought on this side of the Atlantic in Maryland). Worth having if you are pursuing ECW (WTK).

paulr

Thanks Guys, the Pike & Shot Society kindly sent me the recent article on Cheriton, books added to my wish list :)

We finished our ongoing Napoleonic game last night so will be doing a test game of FK&P with the wider group next Saturday :)
Will be interesting to see what they make of the rules  :-SS

I suggested we do the Montgomery scenario out of the rule book, but thinking about the Scottish interests of most of our group Tippermuir might be a better first game :-\

paulr

A quick compatibility question

How will LOA36 Mounted command, standing (7) and LOA37 Mounted command, moving (7) fit with the ECW range both in terms of size and build and style of the officers dress :-\

Pierre the Shy, thanks for the idea of using these to add variety to the officers

paulr

28 April 2018, 10:53:49 PM #42 Last Edit: 28 April 2018, 11:06:11 PM by paulr
As I finalise my order another quick question, any suggestions on some figures to mix with EC8 Peasants to add a bit more variety to my 'Rabble' :-

ELM14 Peasants mixed weapons :-\
Any others?

d_Guy

Quote from: paulr on 28 April 2018, 10:36:46 PM
A quick compatibility question

How will LOA36 Mounted command, standing (7) and LOA37 Mounted command, moving (7) fit with the ECW range both in terms of size and build and style of the officers dress :-

Pierre the Shy, thanks for the idea of using these to add variety to the officers

Paul here are a couple Q&D pics I just took comparing ECW (on right) and LOA (on left) Command stands
(They are made intentional big so you can see details)

The LOA are slightly taller and more full but I think they integrate well enough.
Two essential differences. In the late 1650s men style was beginning to change noticeably:
The wide brimmed hats are getting more turn ups and officers were getting tape and even feathered fringe (this last noticeable on the LOA sculpts). Painting them the same color as the hat would minimize this difference.
The more marked difference is the coats. In the 1640s they are short and flared out at the waist to form a short skirt. By 1660 they are longer (knee length) and the flare is less dramatic. Still this is fairly dramatic difference in the sculpts as is the post 1660 exaggerated cuff.
Me - I would be "fashion forward" and mix them but they are noticeably different!

d_Guy

Yes - both that you mention plus AS5, LOA16, and even a few SYW12 and EC42 because one simply can not have too much Rabble (which could include women).  There are no rules!  :)
The clothing doesn't always match the 1640s but with a bit of tissue paper, green stuff and paint much can be altered.