ECW project using For King and Parliament

Started by paulr, 04 April 2018, 06:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

Thanks for posting the pics of your command stands D Guy, very helpful indeed as always  :)

I decided to go with the LOA officers as the LOA36 Mounted command, standing (7) and LOA37 Mounted command, moving (7) figures are made in very "dynamic" poses if you know what I mean and the limited sources I have available on the period suggested that even the Scots commanders were fairly nattily dressed. I realise that the fashion had changed somewhat but I'm prepared to live with it.

Not expecting too many conversations with "button counters" about the length of the officers coats  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

d_Guy

I applaud your decision Peter.  :)

Incidently my MacColla Command stand are all figures on foot. The old boy himself is an officer figure from 1745 JS4 (shimmed to add a foot or two to his height) with a claymore "borrowed" from the 1513 Flodden ER3 Highlander giving an average date of 1629! Close enough!  :D
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

paulr

Thanks d_Guy, I'll also include some 'natty' dressers to add some variety and dynamism to my command stands :)

Some interesting options for the Rabble
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Terry37

I can only agree Bill, some great looking command stands! Love both periods too.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

d_Guy

Thanks Terry - just to remind everyone - Toxic Pixie painted the LOA figures for me.

paulr

I've just sent Leon Pierre the Shy's and my order to get the price X_X
I'm sure it will be very reasonable :D

Thanks to all for your assistance, particularly Molinary who has provided very helpful replies to my emails

d_Guy

Mollinary runs one of the best support desks going!

paulr

He does indeed :) :) :)

He has some competition from Leon who has, in his usual efficient and helpful way, priced our order
And very reasonable it is :D

paulr

Order tweaked slightly and placed, thanks Leon :)

Ok, I admit it, I added a couple of things

paulr

FK&P had a very successful debut with our regular gaming group :)

Pierre the Shy's summary of the game can be found here http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,16966.msg255527.html#msg255527
And my observations have ended up on the next page http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,16966.msg255530.html#msg255530

It went so well that Pierre the Shy even admitted during our half time tea break that we had already ordered the figures ;) ;D

d_Guy

pierre the shy was simply leading from the front.  :D

paulr

I've been tinkering with orders of battle for Cheriton with help from Mollinary and I am pretty sure I'm happy with version 9 :-B #:-S

Fortunately the changes haven't been too drastic and the figures I've already ordered will still give me everything I need for the battle :)
In fact they will give me more than I need as there are 14 :o units of Commanded Shot which I've ordered pikes for as well  ;)

Now on to sorting out coat colours and flags

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 11 May 2018, 10:11:25 PM

A bit more straight forward for the Covenanters.....any coat colour so long as its hodden grey and most regiments have the saltire flags in various colour combinations.

Still have to work out exactly what shade of grey hodden grey is - probably use a few different shades of grey for separate battalia  ;)  the colonel of the regiment evidently bought uniforms en-masse for the whole unit.

Sorted out some clan banners for the highlanders - Camerons, Gordons and Lamonts to start with. Highly speculative that they did carry them in 1640's (the ones I have are much more modern I think) but they look good so I'm going to use them   8) 
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

d_Guy

Hi Pierre,

FWIW, if you want to have a slight break from hodden grey, there is some evidence that the first Covenanter unit's sent to Ulster in early 1642 where supplied with red material for coats by the English Parliament. As Campbell of Lawers is one of these, they still may have been (at least partially) in red coats at Auldearn.

My hodden grey is all over the place from very cold blue-grey to very hot red-grey. The red and brown tones are probably the more accurate.

Since most of the known Covenanter flags were those captured a Dunbar (1650) I general match that colour scheme if possible but, as you say, use lots of saltires. I've taken to using a white (with various heraldry) flag for the colonel's standard since that seems to accord with what we know. All my standards are now detachable.

I make up clan banners with great abandon so I like your approach.  :)

I'm sure you know this reference but just in case, the regimental wiki portion of BCW Project is very useful:
http://wiki.bcw-project.org/covenanter/start

paulr

Quote from: paulr on 11 May 2018, 10:11:25 PM
I've been tinkering with orders of battle for Cheriton with help from Mollinary and I am pretty sure I'm happy with version 9 :-B #:-S

I've finally settled on version 10 of the orders of battle #:-S

I've made good progress on coat colours and some progress on researching flags :) :!!