Austrian railways

Started by cameronian, 03 April 2018, 02:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

OK, Gerry, here we go again. I have now looked out the wonderful collection of maps reproduced from Osterreich's Kampfe by Verlag Rockstuhl. Called Landkarten Plane und Skizzen Osterreeichs Kampfe im jahre 1866, it cost €49.95.   The overall maps of the theatre of operations clearly show the railway running from Vienna to Brunn, through Wildenschwerdt to Pardubice, then splitting to Prague westwards and then north to Koniggratz, Josefstadt where it splits and goes east to  Skalitz and north past Koniginhof to Turnau.  It's main problem, I believe, is the vast majority of it is single track.

Andrew
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

cameronian

04 April 2018, 08:24:50 PM #16 Last Edit: 04 April 2018, 08:27:51 PM by cameronian
OK thanks, I wonder what happened to the proposed western route, cuts probably (pun intended :-)).
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

cameronian

Quote from: mollinary on 04 April 2018, 05:13:10 PM
Your map is 1849.  The one I quoted is for the railways in 1866. Do you have the book I listed in my  post?  I have e mailed you with a photo and another quote from the GGS history which is highly indicative of the line from Brunn northward having been finished.  In answer to your question it gives another route into Bohemia, from Vienna via Munich and Regensburg, although I don not know of much evidence as to it being used.

Ah yes, never thought of that, via Munich.

I realise this one is running and running but I think we're at cross purposes. I know there was a line from Brno via Olmutz to Prague and all stations west, what I'm referring to is the one that goes (or didn't go, look at the 1849 map, its a 'proposed' line) from Brno elliptically to the west of Olmutz to join the main line further north, probably at Wildenschwerdt which as you correctly observe was a major rail junction.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

mollinary

Gerry,

I have never been at cross purposes. I have never spoken of a line from Brunn to Olmutz. The line from Vienna splits at Lundenburg. One track goes north to Brunn, one East to Olmutz. The one that goes north to Brunn continues on via Wildenschwerdt  to Pardubice and then splits again. Going West to Prague, and north to Josefstadt. So yes, I know what it is you are talking about. And yes, I can see that it was projected in 1849. And yes, the map in the official Austrian history clearly shows it as completed in 1866!

Andrew
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

cameronian

Quote from: mollinary on 05 April 2018, 01:22:02 PM
Gerry,

I have never been at cross purposes. I have never spoken of a line from Brunn to Olmutz. The line from Vienna splits at Lundenburg. One track goes north to Brunn, one East to Olmutz. The one that goes north to Brunn continues on via Wildenschwerdt  to Pardubice and then splits again. Going West to Prague, and north to Josefstadt. So yes, I know what it is you are talking about. And yes, I can see that it was projected in 1849. And yes, the map in the official Austrian history clearly shows it as completed in 1866!

Andrew

Problem solved, only 2/3 of your map was visible when I opened it on my phone, the eastern section was missing, clear now on the PC. Good effort, 80% awarded, 20% deducted for crotchety reply  :P