Big Wars of the Roses bash

Started by sunjester, 02 April 2018, 05:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunjester

At the last Tring Club Games Day I organised a 4-player Wars of the Roses game, using Sword and Spear, joined by Orcs and Last Hussar (as well as another volunteer/victim from the club). Each player controlled a 400 point army, Orcs' Lancastrian forces were slightly balanced in favour of their heavy infantry, so would have the advantage in melee. I'd gone for a more shooty option with the Yorkists, which gave us more manoeuvrebility and an advantage if we could keep them at a distance.

Full AAR and photos are on the blog http://tringwargames.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/yorkists-2-lancastrians-0.html

Leman

Remarkably good looking game, and those Pendrakens have painted up really well. More and more folk seem to be using professionally made mats these days, which I think really enhances the look of a game.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Superb report! Jinxed by Orcs!!!!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

He didn't explain why he left a big gap until after deployment! I had my left flank dangling.

Some years ago we were playing War master, and Orcs wanted to fire his organ gun. As it was at long range he only got one die. I warned him if he rolled a one the gun would blow up.

Came the now much quoted reply "I don't intend to roll a one"...
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Orcs

Quote from: Leman on 02 April 2018, 05:58:28 PM
Remarkably good looking game, and those Pendrakens have painted up really well. More and more folk seem to be using professionally made mats these days, which I think really enhances the look of a game.

Nearly all the forces on both sides were painted by a late friend of ours Ron Atkins.  His hobby was figure painting and he was very good at it. These were some of the last 10mm he painted due to failing eyesight.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Quote from: Last Hussar on 02 April 2018, 09:24:52 PM
He didn't explain why he left a big gap until after deployment! I had my left flank dangling.

Orcs wanted to fire his organ gun.

Firing ones organ gun often gets one into trouble.  You should know

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Womble67

Enjoyed reading your battle report

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Quote from: Orcs on 03 April 2018, 06:52:23 AM
Firing ones organ gun often gets one into trouble.  You should know

"This is my rifle
This is my gun
This is for fighting
This is for fun" :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

Quote from: Last Hussar on 02 April 2018, 09:24:52 PM

Some years ago we were playing War master, and Orcs wanted to fire his organ gun. As it was at long range he only got one die. I warned him if he rolled a one the gun would blow up.

Sound slike the element of command friction and hoity toity nobs not talking to each other was well in force.

I dread to ask, but how is Orcs organ gun now?! Is it back to tooting death and destruction?!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Orcs

Quote from: toxicpixie on 03 April 2018, 01:53:36 PM
Sound slike the element of command friction and hoity toity nobs not talking to each other was well in force.

I dread to ask, but how is Orcs organ gun now?! Is it back to tooting death and destruction?!

You will be please to know my Ribauldiquin did not make an appearance in this battle.

As for my organ gun I keep it under tight control, as it has got me into lots of expensive trouble in the past.

Last Hussar

Mostly shooting at things two doors down...
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Orcs

toxicpixie

Well, as long as it's polished & oiled regularly it shouldn't miss fire next time you get it out the box!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting