ITLSU - A Hill in Palestine 1918

Started by Martin1914, 31 March 2018, 10:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Looks excellent !!  8)

Cheers - Phil

Martin1914

(Pic15) Re-establishing Brigade HQ near the village, Pilkington-Smythe was still unable to order the Indians to attack. His staff were now reporting requests from them for Water! Water! For in their slog up the eastern spur in the growing heat of the day, the Indians had emptied their chaggles. Pilkington-Smythe rarely showed any outward anger. But his South Africans were fighting and dying on the hilltop and the attack needed to keep momentum, not water. At that moment Pilkington-Smythe didn't need any signallers, the British officers of the Indian battalion heard him. "******* move now!!"
(Pic16) As the Indians continued their effort to climb the eastern spur, they were desperately needed as reinforcements. Morkum Bey wasn't prepared to let the enemy consolidate their break-in to his position. He knew his business and didn't need any of those smug Germans of the Asia Korps to tell him what to do! He ordered his 1st Battalion to counter-attack, launching a company down the trench line and another across the open from the communication trench.
To be continued....
2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nooooo! Don't leave L/Cpl (Blondie) Jones Hanging on The Telephone!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Martin1914

(Pic17) But the Cape Boys did not intend to give up what they had gained and with grim determination fought both attacking companies in close combat, forcing their enemies to retreat. Following up along the trench line the Cape Boys maintained a momentum of their own and attacked the supporting enemy MG, which withdrew down the communication trench. They threatened to capture Morkum Bey himself but he was able to move his HQ out of danger.
(Pic18) Finally the Indians finished their advance to the Turkish trenches to reinforce the South Africans.
To be continued....
2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Martin1914

(Pic19) Quite frankly, the Cape Boys didn't feel they needed the help. Their blood was up, but they remained under the control of their officers. They had been told to attack and attack they would. One company turned down the communication trench to close on the Turk MG. The other kept pushing through the main trench line.
Having been compelled to move his HQ again, Morkum Bey was unable to exert any command and control over his men. At least his 2nd Battalion was trying to reorganise on its own initiative in the western end of the trench line.
(Pic20) There was no stopping the Cape Boys. They were literally on a roll. They took out the MG and continued to clear the main trench line without further loss to themselves. Morkum Bey failed to re-establish his HQ.
To be continued....
2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

Martin1914

(Pic21) Pilkington-Smythe could hear but was unable to see much of the fight in the trenches. His gut feeling was that he must still support his South Africans. He finally got the order through to the Indians to carry the attack through the Cape Corps and clear the remainder of the enemy position.
The Indians filed into the trench line and their leading company took the fight to the weakening Turks, forcing some out into the open. Despite their dwindling numbers the Turks weren't finished. Their 1st Battalion was still on attack orders since Morkum Bey's attempt to counter-attack and under the influence of their remaining officers, they wouldn't run. Indeed, a weakened company launched what seemed a futile assault back up the communication trench against the odds. It had the sweet revenge of defeating a Cape company and making it retreat out of the trenches. Had the South Africans finally shot their bolt?
(Pic22) No. They were having none of it! Rallied by their officers, they weren't going to let the Indians finish what they had started. They charged back into the trenches, barged the Indians out of the way and attacked back down the communication trench, expelling their previous opponents.
Morkum Bey started to lose heart. His men were doing their duty and dying. The enemy were appearing in increasing numbers which he couldn't counter. He desperately wanted to save his men by ordering them to retire and playing his last card of calling in his remaining artillery fire mission onto the hilltop. But under constant enemy pressure he had to move his HQ and he was unable to send the orders.
It was time to concede defeat and surrender. Morkum Bey and his surviving men would head into captivity in Egypt.
Pilkington-Smythe had the grim satisfaction of seeing his brigade take its objective in just over an hour (13 game turns; 6 hours playing time), inflicting 56% losses on the Turks and forcing their surrender. The day belonged to the Cape Corps and he would approve numerous citations for gallantry. But it came at a cost for this battalion lost 59% casualties. The Indian battalion remained relatively unscathed.
The End.
2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

sunjester

Well done old chap! A superb report and an absolutely spiffing game.   =D> =D> =D>

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Not had the time to follow the narrative as yet but the layout looks really effective. Thumbs up!  :-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Superb report, really detailed and atmospheric
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

lowlylowlycook

I really like the look of these battles.

Womble67

Excellent battle report

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook