Nostalgia v today

Started by Norm, 28 March 2018, 10:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Subedai on 30 March 2018, 09:00:23 PM

Anyone remember Peter Laing 15mm? Talk about basic, but painted up they looked the dogs, at least if you applied the three foot rule.

I am custodian of absolute tons of Peter Laing figures. The Crimean range was largely sculpted for my club for a Crimean exhibition.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Norm

31 March 2018, 06:50:42 AM #31 Last Edit: 31 March 2018, 06:54:30 AM by Norm
Thanks all for the comments, stories, both here and at the blog. At the Lead Adventure Forum, one poster showed his collection that he still has of painted Airfix napoleonics in 1/76 plastic, including conversions for a Prussian army .... of course these days, several 1/72 manufacturers do Prussians, but it must be nice for anyone who still has their early stuff, if it still brings a pleasure.

As I mentioned on the blog comments, there is a certain irony that our modern day situation of plenty of product in some areas may actually be too much goodness and reaching a point of saturation, not so much in terms of the product itself, but more our ability to absorb it and turn it into leisure time. I am particularly mindful of the Kickstarter boardgames that are fairly large and complex, but no sooner is a game in your hand. than the next 'big thing' is being Kickstarted and wanting your money, so one never really gets good at any one game or gets enough time to explore it properly and dare I say play it to death. I suppose the lead or plastic mountain is the same dilemma and since the good old days of WRG being a standard of what people would 'know' for tournaments, we now have a plethora of favourites to choose from. As Goldilocks might say about 50 years of wargaming, 'not enough goodness, just the right amount of goodness and too much goodness' :-)

Leman

I suppose there is always self restraint and pruning. I now know that WWI Middle East, for which I had bought half a dozen packs will now never be followed up, despite new packs being produced. The First Schleswig War will be restricted to a Neil Thomas style conflict, the 28mm WOR mothballed with no new additions, all the figures for FK&P already assembled - etc. The problem is painting time. Once this problem is recognised, then impulse buying goes out the window pretty quickly.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Quote from: Norm on 31 March 2018, 06:50:42 AM
I am particularly mindful of the Kickstarter boardgames that are fairly large and complex, but no sooner is a game in your hand. than the next 'big thing' is being Kickstarted and wanting your money, so one never really gets good at any one game or gets enough time to explore it properly and dare I say play it to death. 
Indeed so. Indeed so.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

I am particularly mindful of the Kickstarter boardgames that are fairly large and complex, but no sooner is a game in your hand. than the next 'big thing' is being Kickstarted and wanting your money, so one never really gets good at any one game or gets enough time to explore it properly and dare I say play it to death.

I have a well thumbed copy of Heroes of Normandie that begs to differ :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Thanks all for the comments, stories, both here and at the blog. At the Lead Adventure Forum, one poster showed his collection that he still has of painted Airfix napoleonics in 1/76 plastic, including conversions for a Prussian army .... of course these days, several 1/72 manufacturers do Prussians, but it must be nice for anyone who still has their early stuff, if it still brings a pleasure.

We will be playing with a friends mainly Airfix Napoleonics week after next, the Prussians (mainly not Airfix) arriving at Waterloo vs Airfix French :)
Airfix Napoleonics is one of our 'regular' games :)

As I mentioned on the blog comments, there is a certain irony that our modern day situation of plenty of product in some areas may actually be too much goodness and reaching a point of saturation, not so much in terms of the product itself, but more our ability to absorb it and turn it into leisure time. I am particularly mindful of the Kickstarter boardgames that are fairly large and complex, but no sooner is a game in your hand. than the next 'big thing' is being Kickstarted and wanting your money, so one never really gets good at any one game or gets enough time to explore it properly and dare I say play it to death.

It has certainly led to more fragmentation of the hobby, or greater choice :-\

Quoteso one never really gets good at any one game
This is one of the reasons I tend to avoid boardgames, the aesthetics is another :-\

An interesting discussion, I look forward to the next round in a few months ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Combining the Nostalgia thread with my extreme productivity over the last few weeks, I'm minded to fight the Ancient battle from "War Games" by the Blessed Featherstone - "The Battle of Trimsos". This was Hyperborea against Hyrkania, of course - and I remember being dazzled by the concept of Horse Archers and war elephants. I had no thought that all these years later, I would have sufficient figures to be able to recreate my idol's OOB?   

The Blessed Featherstone used flats from Tony Bath's collection ("Perfectionists may detect some slight deviation in their respective period or eras- but what's a few hundred years amongst so many?")

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Quote from: fsn on 30 March 2018, 09:24:08 PM
I had lots of Peter Laing.

They were definitely mass effect sculpts. To be fair the WWII figures weren't that bad.

In still have some very nicely painted (not by me) landsknect Arquebus serving in my renaissance armies.  Crude figures but painted up well
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Last Hussar

Quote from: Orcs on 30 March 2018, 09:15:58 AM
I'll have you know I have far better stamina than that, so its only so its only 13 days 23 hours and 51 minutes :D

Tell the truth - if you entertain young ladies the same way you wargame that will be 4 minutes of deciding what to do, and 4 minutes of wandering off to see what else is happening.

QuoteIsn't this one of those topics that come up every two months or so?
Yes because we have talked "b*ll*cks" round to the same subject again
Or 'Being a wargamer' as it is officially called.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Orcs

Quote from: Last Hussar on 01 April 2018, 01:02:40 AM
Tell the truth - if you entertain young ladies the same way you wargame 4 minutes of wandering off to see what else is happening.

As you well know,  you have to see what other options are available
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Last Hussar

Not fair - I didn't realise I was cheating on my girlfriend with my wife.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry