Printing 1:3000 models

Started by Aksu, 18 March 2018, 05:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

Thanks for taking the time to print these ships for us Aksu. Really appreciate it.

We will be playing the ABDA campaign sometime later this year. Haven't worked out exactly when yet.

Cheers
Peter
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Aksu

The Convoy is forming up, ready to start the trip around the Cape and on to the farthest reaches of the Empire. Laden with reindeer oil and birch branches no doubt.
Cheers,
Aksu

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D>

Brilliant, great variation in sizes
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

That does look pretty darn good. Is the "base board" they're on a "snap off" job, or a sharp knife/side cutters job to remove?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Aksu

Quote from: toxicpixie on 04 April 2018, 04:45:35 PM
That does look pretty darn good. Is the "base board" they're on a "snap off" job, or a sharp knife/side cutters job to remove?
They snap off when the base is bent. Bit of knife/spatula work might be required. I suppose the print software is clever enough to put on a thick-ish base, then a thin and fragile support layer, and then start printing the model proper. This support layer then breaks away easily.
The idea of printing a base, or "raft" as it is properly called, is to get good adhesion of the printed things on the print bed. The larger the first surface layer, the more likely the print is to stay put, and not come off in mid print, resulting in a horrid ball of thin plastic spaghetti filling the printer. If your model already has a good footprint, no raft is required.
Cheers,
Aksu

toxicpixie

Oddly enough a mate just posted some flying spagetthi monster esq piccies of a print gone wrong!

So that's a good base layer, a frangible layer and then the ship model? Clever :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

paulr

No updates as yet from shipping control on the convoys arrival :-w :-w :-w

Aksu

Quote from: paulr on 04 April 2018, 09:41:26 PM
No updates as yet from shipping control on the convoys arrival :-w :-w :-w
What is the usual dlivery time for a priority letter from N.Europe to NZ? It has been a while now...  :-
Aksu

paulr

I'm hoping they will arrive this week, but expecting next week ;)

Aksu

Luckily our well paid riveters and concrete pourers can crank out a new convoy of libertine... err liberty ships in no time, if the previous one falls prey to the dastardly subs and wolfpacks and pirates around the cape.
Cheers,
Aksu

paulr

Shipping control (Reception) reported arrivals (a parcel for me)

This was followed by a quick trip to my office's mailroom
I now have possession of a very impressive convoy of ships :) :) :)
Many thanks Aksu

The quality of the printing is very impressive and I'm looking forward to painting these up :-bd =D> :-bd

Is there any preparation required before painting them? Do they need washing, for example

Aksu

Quote from: paulr on 11 April 2018, 11:04:25 PM
Shipping control (Reception) reported arrivals (a parcel for me)

This was followed by a quick trip to my office's mailroom
I now have possession of a very impressive convoy of ships :) :) :)
Many thanks Aksu

The quality of the printing is very impressive and I'm looking forward to painting these up :-bd =D> :-bd

Is there any preparation required before painting them? Do they need washing, for example
Hooray! I was actually getting ready to send another batch to you. I hope the funnels did not suffer too much damage during transit. They will be the weakest part of the models due to the way the print layers lie.
Anyway, I have not done any preparation apart from normal undercoating. I use acrylics. I can`t vouch for really long term (several years) durabillity, perhaps somebody on the list will know how PLA plastic ages.
I hope the ships serve you well,
Cheers,
Aksu

paulr

I've had a closer look at the ships, after work, and am more impressed with them :-bd =D> :-bd

It looks as though one funnel has been dislodged en voyage

I'm sure they will serve us very well, I hate to think how many times they will be sunk ;)

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 12 April 2018, 08:22:51 AM
I'm sure they will serve us very well, I hate to think how many times they will be sunk ;)
They arrived  <:-P

The convoy must get through.....well, some of it might  :-......remember the Ohio!! 8)

For those who don't know about Ohio try googling Operation Pedestal
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.