Action Man advert

Started by Steve J, 15 March 2018, 03:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

I'd much rather watch that than Bojo and Vlad having their 'I've got the biggest' comparison stand off. Now that really is stupid!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

DanJ

Being too old to have had an Action Man (boys in my day played with pen knives and pointy sticks) and far to old to even know who Skeletor and HeMan are I found then amusing if rather baffling.

But to respond to Raider4's comment

QuoteSo, take a 'beloved' children's toy and make them dance in a camp fashion to sell a price comparison website? I expect it's being post-ironic or something.

No, it's an attempt to make you remember Moonie Hypermarche as opposed to any other price comparison web site, and as this thread has now got to its second page without being derailed it's obviously a working.

urbancohort

One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Is it stop motion or CGI?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

Its got to be CGI or they aren't real Action Men (mans?) - everybody remembers how hard they were to stand up! Seriously though you'd need a frame to hold them - real stop motion are usually designed to be posed - Wallace and Gromit have a jointed metal skeleton.

It could be MoCap, so the routine is danced by people with dots on - like Andy Serkis/Gollum.  With more traditional animation the model is made in a computer, you pose it in start position, you move the arm where you want it to be, and the computer doing the bit in the middle.  In traditional animation 'Key Artists' do the start and end, and 'inbetweeners' do the frames in between.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

paulr

So that's what 'Key Artists' means, you learn something every day :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Last Hussar

Both sons did the same BTEC - 3d computer modeling and animation. Given they are both dyslexic they needed a proof-reader. The Key artists are the more skilled ones I believe.  The Simpsons sends all its inbetweener work to South Korea - watch the names in the credits.

GNU PTerry

Subedai

Quote from: Raider4 on 16 March 2018, 04:35:22 PM
Stupid. Just stupid.

Are these the same idiots who did the recent He-Man/Skeletor dancing advert?

So, take a 'beloved' children's toy and make them dance in a camp fashion to sell a price comparison website? I expect it's being post-ironic or something.

And, because it's camp, anyone who doesn't like it can instantly be labelled 'HOMOPHOBE!!!!'.

Again, stupid, just stupid.

My youngest lad -who is 35- is equally incensed by the whole thing. He says that a lot of his childhood heroes are being abused by companies whose whole ethos is simply to make money. I must agree, I felt a little disappointed when the Flintstones and Top Cat were used for the same purpose.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Ithoriel

I find them mildly amusing which puts them well above most ads in my estimation. I'm rather fond of the meerkats and the Winston Wolf ads, too.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Quote from: Last Hussar on 01 April 2018, 11:39:34 AM
Both sons did the same BTEC - 3d computer modeling and animation. Given they are both dyslexic they needed a proof-reader. The Key artists are the more skilled ones I believe.  The Simpsons sends all its inbetweener work to South Korea - watch the names in the credits.

I had noted some of the 'different' names in the credits of various animated shows, I now understand where they fit in :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Last Hussar

First time my youngest watched Pulp Fiction he said "I get those insurance adverts now."

Apparently meerkats are really violent- 20% of meerkat deaths are being killed by other meerkats.  Much of their time is looking at other meerkats trying to work out if they are bigger so should beat them up, or show subservience to larger members of the pack.  They really DO spend a lot of time comparing the meerkat (Source - No such thing as a fish)

GNU PTerry

Raider4

Quote from: Subedai on 01 April 2018, 02:13:59 PM
My youngest lad -who is 35- is equally incensed by the whole thing. He says that a lot of his childhood heroes are being abused by companies whose whole ethos is simply to make money. I must agree, I felt a little disappointed when the Flintstones and Top Cat were used for the same purpose.

And this morning I saw an advert (ab)using Mr. Benn to flog something insurance related . . .

I despair, I really do.

Leman

However that is what a company is all about. If it doesn't make money it doesn't survive. Actually I quite like adverts that remind me of times gone by, although Topcat having a conversation with a Yorkshire lass is a bit strange. Wait until Specsavers use Vincent van Gopher in an advert!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

I'm just waiting for Starfleet to roll around, but dunno if it had quite enough mass market appeal...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ithoriel

Space. The final frontier. Your continuing mission. To use our website to find the best deals on hotels anywhere in the galaxy! Trek Va Go! :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data